Apples in Applesauce

Home Forums General Discussions Apples in Applesauce

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I made applesauce last week using some of the seconds that I bought at our favorite orchard. To my surprise, it was not as tasty as usual, although still good. My husband and I decided it tasted like "baby applesauce," just verging on the bland.

The apples were in a bag which says it is a mix of Sweet Emma, McIntosh, and Ida Red. I have used Ida Red before and been pleased with it; my other bag of seconds is all Ida Reds. I think the bag I was using maybe has fewer Ida Reds. Is anyone familiar with Sweet Emma or McIntosh in applesauce? I seem to recall that the McIntosh do not have much flavor.

For my next batch, I will use three pounds from the Ida Red bag and two pounds from the mixed bag and see if that makes a difference.

The husband and wife who own the orchard have never steered me wrong on apples for applesauce, but unfortunately, they were not present, and I am not sure that the person overseeing the sales is as knowledgeable.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I can't find much on Sweet Emma, other than it being a Fuji-like apple.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Never seen Sweet Emmas but if I did I would buy them because I have a lovely niece named Emma. She is definitely sweet.

I've been using honey crisps because they are on sale and are actually pretty inexpensive for now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.