Aluminum foil

Home Forums General Discussions Aluminum foil

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    navlys
    Participant

Ok I did read that aluminum foil can be hazardous to you health but I chose to ignore it until I was wiping off some aluminum foil that just came out of the oven and I noticed silver residue on my paper towel.!!?

Spread the word
      S_Wirth
      Participant

Years ago, Martha Stewart said she prefers to use parchment next to the foods and foil on top of that to avoid direct contact of foil with foods.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I don't bake directly on foil because in my experience it sticks, even if it is the supposedly non-stick foil that Reynolds makes. I use parchment for baking and also for roasting butternut squash or chicken.

When I use foil to cover something that is baking, like the fish that I did last night, I have noted that the foil is discolored afterwards. It seems to be more of the problem with the Walmart foil that my husband likes to buy.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I buy 18 inch x 500 foot rolls of aluminum foil at Sams Club. I also buy 18 inch wide plastic wrap in the big box at Sams. I bought a 1000 count case of full sheet pan size parchment paper at the restaurant supply store several years ago, since the half-sheet size ones are too small for my 3/4 size sheet pans. I've used less than half the box, so it'll last me quite a few more years.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I use aluminum foil sometimes, if I think food sticking will be a problem I give it a little spray with Pam. But generally will put parchment over it. I think higher acidic foods will react with aluminum more than other foods.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Len is right, aluminum is reactive so acid or high enough heat may cause changes in the foil.

I have 18 & 12 inch wide aluminum. I use the 18 inch to cover pans to make clean up easier. I will still put parchment on the foil on the pans to make things stick less.

Aluminum used to be thought to contribute to Alzheimer's but that research was faulty and has been discredited. It still seems to be floating around the internet. Not sure if there is any other health hazard that has been pointed out but I'll do some research.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.