A Different Kind of Pizza Experience

Home Forums Baking — Savory A Different Kind of Pizza Experience

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I saw this recipe in an email from The Splendid Table for Pizza Rolls with Sweet Peppers:

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2023/04/15/pizza-rolls-with-sweet-peppers?utm_campaign=TST_Weekend_Newsletter_+20230415&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sfmc_Newsletter&utm_content=Weekend%20Kitchen&utm_term=3676540

It would make a great meal with a salad. (And no garlic, Mike!)

It does not specify a pan size but makes 20 rolls. I would use black olives instead of green, and I would make it at least half whole wheat. I'm going to put it on my "hope to bake" list for this summer when fresh basil is available. It would also help if we had company, since my husband cannot eat onions or basil and dislikes olives. Sigh.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Thanks BA. I've seen some similar recipes but I do not recall where. Someone was repurposing cinnamon buns to make pizza rolls.

This might be the next thing in pizza. It would be good for school lunches too.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I'm wondering if the baked rolls would freeze well and then could be re-heated. That would let me stash away some special lunches for me.

I also like the suggestion at the end of the recipe that one could do a spinach and ricotta filling. I wish that specifics about that had been included, as my husband could eat that version.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Spinach and ricotta filling is easy to make in a blender or food processor, and I'd just spread it on like I would a compound butter for cinnamon rolls, but thicker.

I don't know the ratio of spinach to ricotta I use, but it comes out pretty solidly green.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

I just realized, this might work for Henry but Violet will not eat my pizza cold or even reheated. She will eat the junk pizza or pizza bagels but not mine.

Spinach and ricotta sounds good. I may tried this just for regular pizza night. Two of the three kids will not try it as long as they know what it is.

Henry might if he doesn't... He was eating a Ruben the other day and I said "When did you start liking rye bread." Hen replied "I'm pretty sure this isn't rye." I said, "it is marble rye."

Now in fairness, it was probably some store brand so it was a little bland but, it sure was rye!

Kids!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The more breads I make from the Ginsberg book, the further away they are getting from store-bought rye breads, which I suspect are often no more than 20-30% rye flour. I think we actually prefer the lighter ones over the 75-100% rye flour breads, which are dense and heavy, even when sliced thin, often quite sour, and rather strong tasting.

The Westphalian rye that I made a few weeks back smelled really interesting when baking but was too strong tasting for us. I haven't written that one up yet, because I'm not sure if I consider it a successful interpretation of the recipe, and I'm really not up for doing it a second time yet, either.

I use a ratio of 40% rye to 60% wheat flour when I make Reinhart's marbled rye bread, the original recipe calls for 30/70 (Bread Baker's Apprentice), I also double the caraway.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I've noted that a lot of the King Arthur rye bread recipes actually use only a small proportion of rye flour with their AP flour. I've found, based on Ginsberg's blog post recipe for spiced pumpkin rye that I can increase the whole wheat flour along with the rye to achieve a bread that is much more wholegrain. Doing so gets the nutritional advantages of both grains. I do recommend the King Arthur spiced rye cookies. The recipe uses medium rye, so not wholegrain but still better than straight AP flour. The chocolate rye coffee cake recipe is also excellent.

As for sourdough--King Arthur has a great sourdough coffee cake recipe. I do not bake it due to the butter, but maybe it will work for Aaron's family..

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Aside from the olives, the filling is basically a piperade (peppers, onions and tomatoes), which make for a good pizza.

The last few things I made using sweet peppers bothered Diane's stomach, so I haven't made anything with them lately.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.