2022 Garden Plans

Home Forums Gardening 2022 Garden Plans

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Of course, we have plenty of bread and no tomatoes yet:

https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/07/14

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I have ONE tomato (a First Lady) that is starting to show some color, but the vines are still a lot shorter than I would expect for mid-July and while I see that some fruit that has set, mostly on the 4th of July plants, I don't really expect to see many ripe tomatoes until mid-August, at best, and that assumes that the weather gets cool enough at some point for fruit to set.

The two-week weather forecast shows just one day in the next two weeks (this Saturday) with a high below 90, followed by 11 consecutive days with highs above 95.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We have a nice green bean crop coming in, for which I am thankful since the farmers' market charges $5 per pound. Snow peas are not as prolific. Blackberries are ripening on our terrace, and today, I went to one of our woodlands with my husband and picked two scant quarts of blackberries. I am hoping to be able to make jam this weekend. I need a lot of blackberries, since I seed them.

Yesterday we went to our favorite blueberry U-Pick, along with my older stepson. We picked around 20 pounds. However, it turns out that inflation has hit there as well, and the total came to $72. (Gasp.) I have ten 4-cup bags of washed, dried, and ready to freeze blueberries. I have washed some more, which are now drying, with plans for a blueberry pie. In spite of the cost, my husband and I will go back and pick some more, so that we are set for the year.

We have two blueberry plants, but only one flowered. It had a bunch of 4-5 berries, and that was it. I did not bother trying to protect them, and the birds have eaten them. My husband thinks they did not get enough sun, but we got half a cup of blueberries last year, so I'm not sure that is the problem.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The tomato that was getting close to ripe was eaten by some critter, probably a squirrel.

There are some others getting big enough that they should start ripening soon, maybe we'll get the next one.

I'm starting to see some blooms on the eggplants and cantaloupe, but haven't seen any fruit set yet.

My latest set of lettuce in the Aerogarden is 3 weeks old and growing like crazy, I picked a big bowl of it today.

BakerAunt
            Participant

We have green tomatoes on the plant I bought from the farmers' market, but the other two (from Gurney's and initially stunted by the grow lights) have only just flowered. My husband is thinking ahead about how we might protect them in September and October if cold weather occurs then.

We are eating red bell peppers from the plant that was started in a pot a year before it was planted outside. The green bell peppers that were on it when it was dormant on the enclosed porch turned red in the garden, but they also had what looked like green bell pepper inside. One was almost completely full of a green bell pepper, so I cut it up and used it along with the red.

My husband bought some honey nut squash from Gurney's. These are the small butternut squash. He planted those seeds. He then found some seed he had saved from some honey nuts we bought at the farmers' market and planted it. We have squash forming, but one of the Gurney's plants has produced two squashes with long necks that are definitely not honey nuts, and that vine is more aggressive. The other Gurney's seed and that from the farmers' market is producing fruit as expected.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Seed companies don't appear to be as reliable as they were in the past. I got some lettuce seeds (rouge d'hiver and black seeded simpson) from a mail order house, they're doing fine in my Aerogarden, but some samples they sent of another lettuce variety hasn't even sprouted in two tries, and neither did the iceberg lettuce seeds I bought at a local store. (Yes, they were labeled for 2022 use.)

When I was talking to the UNL professor who teaches the hydroponics course, he said the tomato seeds he uses for his hydroponics plants cost $1 PER SEED! But he had one that was like 20 feet long. It ran along the floor and then up a tall rack. Apparently as the plant matures, the newer tomatoes are at the far end of the vine, so the earlier sections are trimmed down and lowered to the floor and the plant is essentially moved further down the row.

chocomouse
                Participant

The .58" of rain last night is really going to help the garden to grow! although we are still in a drought. And we've ended the 5 days of temps in the 90s. We cannot keep up with everything. We're picking a couple quarts of blueberries every day, and a handful of raspberries, and the blackberries are ready to pick tomorrow. We're eating zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, green and yellow beans, along with the every present lettuce. Purple beans will be ready tomorrow, and there are a couple of cabbages ready to eat. The planters of herbs are lush, so I need to figure out how to dry them in my countertop oven, instead of using the big dehydrator.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Blackberries in our back yard. The stick is to hold up that branch, trying to prevent it from breaking off. This is one bush in 50 foot row. We'll start picking tomorrow (photo taken July 16). We freeze them on a tray, then bag when frozen; my husband eats them on his Frosted Flakes every morning after all the fresh berries are gone and until he runs out of them next spring.

Well, I can't upload the photo; I'll try to reduce it to less than 512 KB. Now trying again, with reduced photo.

Blackberries-220KB

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Those Blackberries are big and the bush is loaded!Nice.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I mentioned my husband's cranberry plant in a tub "bog" last year. We harvested about a half cup of cranberries in the late fall, and I used them to bake muffins. The plants had lots of green berries on them this summer, and I was anticipating baking with them again. Note the past tense. The chipmunks, which are all over our yard apparently decided to eat many of the green berries. I hope they had the tummy aches to end all tummy aches. My husband is protecting what is left, but it will not be the harvest of our dreams.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I've got a nice crop of Burpee's White Knight eggplants, I will have to start picking them soon. The Long Purple ones (Reimer seeds) should have visible fruit on them soon, they're a bit slower to mature. I don't see any cantaloupe yet, but I've got plenty of blooms. I've got multiple tomato plants with small fruit on them, the cool spell we've had in the last week should mean even more fruit setting. Nothing showing signs of ripening yet, other than the one some critter got.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Well, I see at least one of the purple eggplants, still very small, and we found around a half-dozen melons, the largest of them about the size of a baseball. I also spotted one tomato that was starting to show some pink color, unfortunately on the same plant that had the first fruit ripen for some critter.

The squirrels have been raiding Diane's flower pots like they were the salad bar at Golden Corral.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I got 3 small tomatoes this morning, from the 4th of July plants. They're a little smaller than a ping pong ball, but its a start.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I bought a small zucchini at the farmer's market today, I'll use it plus some of the white eggplants to make a small batch of ratatouille this week.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I have one beefsteak tomato plant. It has been growing well with lots of flowers but I haven't seen any tomatoes on it. The other day when I was watering it I thought I saw a patch of red in the middle of it, near the bottom. I peered in and to my delight saw a nice big red tomato!

It weighs in at nearly a pound, 15.5 ounces.

tomato‑x

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 142 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.