Sun. Oct 11th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 6,226 through 6,240 (of 8,098 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of March 17, 2019? #15165
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      There's a Penzeys in Indianapolis, but that's probably a good 100 miles away.

      The nearest one to us is in Omaha, I think I've been there just once. I've probably been to the one in the Strip District in Pittsburgh more times than that. 🙂

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of March 17, 2019? #15156
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        Today was a leftovers day.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of March 17, 2019? #15143
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          We had steak, mushrooms, baked potato and a salad for dinner tonight.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of March 17, 2019? #15131
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            We had lavash pizza again tonight. (The lavash come 3 to a package.) Didn't have a tomato, so I put on some tomato sauce, which was an acceptable substitute.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the week of March 17, 2019? #15127
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              Irish soda bread covers a wide range of breads. Some are sweet, some are not. Some have fruit and/or nuts in them, some do not. Some are light in color, some are quite dark. I've even seen some dusted with powdered sugar or a light glaze.

              You can make them with a gluten-free flour, too. (Although I haven't tried that myself, I've made other GF chemically leavened breads, so I suspect they'd work well.)

              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of March 10, 2019? #15124
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                I usually only make Hot Cross Buns for Good Friday. I like the recipe in the KAF Whole Grains book best of the ones I've tried.

                in reply to: Not Quite Right Favorite Fudge Birthday Cake #15121
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  The oven may have been the biggest difference, how it preheats and the range of temperatures it goes through each time it cycles (engineers call this hysteresis) can both affect the cake, as could some of the other factors you mentioned.

                  Was it more dry along the edges than in the center? That could be the cake strips. (I've got some but haven't ever used them.)

                  Isn't a new oven part of the kitchen remodeling, meaning you'll be using a new oven again next year?

                  in reply to: Flooding in Nebraska #15096
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    Not really, most of Lincoln is well above even the 500 year flood plains, and we're pretty much at the high point of our neighborhood, so it'd take a flood of Biblical proportions to affect us. We have, on one occasion, had a little water come in by the walk-out basement door, but that was after something like 12 inches of rain in 3 days and we've done some re-grading of the yard since then and redone the master deck so that it is less likely to direct water towards the house.

                    I just read online that we have mandatory water restrictions as of this evening, though. Lincoln's main well fields are on the Platte near Ashland, about 30 miles northeast of us, and they've had some power issues due to flooding there. The treatment plants have not been impacted so city water is still safe, but the mandatory restrictions are intended to cut usage so that the reserves aren't drained.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of March 17, 2019? #15094
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      The oven-roasted corned beef brisket was excellent, slow cooking rendered out much of the fat and it didn't boil out the flavor.

                      I put a sliced onion and some carrots and celery on top, cooked it for about 4 hours then cut a bunch of it off for the soup and put the brisket back in the oven for another 2+ hours. The roasted veggies went in the soup pot along with the cabbage, some diced potatoes, a bay leaf, thyme, basil and parsley.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of March 17, 2019? #15087
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        My mother made corned beef hash a lot, it was an easy way to feed 6 kids on a budget in a hurry. We'd take turns grinding the onions and potatoes for it.

                        I like a good kosher corned beef, my wife prefers pastrami. (If I could get Montreal Smoked Meat here, that's even better.)

                        The vending machines at college had excellent corned beef on rye sandwiches, I'm not sure if Sinai 48 products are even still available, they were bought out by another company some years ago.

                        I also like a good reuben. (Local historians claim that the reuben was invented in Omaha.)

                        I've got a brisket, I'm going to roast most of it and put part of it in a corned beef and cabbage soup. (My wife doesn't really like cooked cabbage, so I'm not making a large pot of soup.)

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the week of March 17, 2019? #15086
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          The soda bread we had in Ireland (at a bed and breakfast near Kilkenny) was fairly dark, a little on the sweet side and had raisins in it.

                          I took several recipes and combined them, I'm using raisins, walnuts, whole wheat flour, oatmeal, AP flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt, buttermilk and a little orange juice.

                          Some recipes bake it free-form, others in a 9" skillet, I'm trying it free-form, we'll see how much it spreads. Smells good so far.

                          Followup: Tastes pretty good, too. A little crumbly, but that's normal with a soda bread, because you don't mix it enough to form much gluten. I'll post my recipe shortly.

                          in reply to: Home and Kitchen Renovation #15078
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            Glad to hear things are progressing, even if it won't be done by Easter. We have a couple of fix-it projects that I may try to get done next summer, one inside and one outside.

                            in reply to: What are you cooking the week of March 10, 2019? #15076
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              Tonight we had steak, mushrooms, baked potato and a salad consisting of a bed of romaine with artichoke hearts and five bean salad on it.

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of March 10, 2019? #15069
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                I want to make some Irish soda bread for tonight/tomorrow but haven't decided on the recipe yet. I'm leaning towards one that is 3/4 whole wheat flour and includes buttermilk, raisins and walnuts, though I might substitute pecans. Soda bread doesn't keep well, so I'm thinking of cutting the recipe in half.

                                in reply to: What are you cooking the week of March 10, 2019? #15061
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  We had leftover lasagna, to which we added a little more tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 6,226 through 6,240 (of 8,098 total)