Mike Nolan
Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
December 18, 2025 at 1:20 am in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 14, 2025? #47967
I made a pot roast today. The meat was some that's been in the freezer for quite a while and it has a bit of a freezer taste to it, but it was edible.
December 15, 2025 at 6:34 pm in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 14, 2025? #47953We had leftover pizza.
Interesting story, thanks for sharing.
The honeycrisps here don't seem to have developed this bitter pit issue yet, but I generally stop buying them in May or June anyway, waiting for the next year's crop.
December 14, 2025 at 9:12 pm in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 14, 2025? #47945I was planning to do a pot roast but the Nebraska volleyball game went on longer than I expected (they lost in 5 sets to Texas A&M) so we went with takeout pizza/lasagna instead for tonight, I'll probably do the pot roast on Tuesday.
We're having onion soup again.
A former neighbor is the head of the Lincoln Sysco office; he told me that All-Trumps (high gluten flour) was what a lot of pizza and bagel places used here. He brought me a big bag of it, it wasn't very good for bread but it worked well for bagels, though I thought it was bit too strong for pizza dough.
We had some onion soup from the freezer, using some lavash instead of stale bread. Worked very well.
I have a very nice 8" fine mesh bouillon funnel/strainer and I use it frequently, I also have several coarser mesh canning strainers, so they store stacked inside each other for storage.
We had the last of the turkey pot pies for supper tonight.
I think we're having mushroom soup and tuna fish sandwiches for supper.
I'm roasting a couple of sweet potatoes for Diane, supper will be tomato soup with fried cheese on lavosh.
December 6, 2025 at 12:57 am in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 30, 2025? #47888We had hot ham and cheese sandwiches.
We had turkey pot pies again.
We had pot pies again for supper. Simple, fast and tasty.
It keeps flirting with above-freezing temperatures and we had some bright sun today, but tomorrow night the expected low is 1.
This time I went with both a bottom and top crust, sometimes I just do the top crust. I used a hot water pie dough (Susan Purdy's recipe except using Crisco instead of margarine), sometimes I've made laminated dough and used that, makes for a really flaky top.
Either way, they're usually very good, light on the turkey, heavy on the potatoes, celery, carrots and peas and lots of gravy.
-
AuthorPosts