Tue. Sep 29th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Kitchen remodel #48340
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      In our kitchen, which is 17 x 18 with a center island, the gas range/electric oven is on the west wall and the refrigerator/freezer are on the east wall. There's a prep sink on south side of the island, an electric cooktop on the north side and the cleanup sink and dishwasher are on the north wall. The south, west and north walls and island areas that don't have appliances all have counter space. There's also a two-drawer under-cabinet refrigerator to the right of the prep sink for fruits and veggies.

      in reply to: Kitchen remodel #48338
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        IMHO the 'work triangle' concept is either flawed or poorly executed in many kitchens.

        I tend to think in terms of heat flow and wet/dry. Items that are designed to generate heat should not be very close to items that are designed to generate cold. Dry ingredients should not be stored near things that produce heat (by design or as a byproduct, like a dishwasher) or that use water.

        I may still have a block diagram of our kitchen, if so I'll see if I can post it. Several chefs who have worked in it (catering events) have said it was very well designed for working efficiently.

        in reply to: Homemade Baking Powder #48323
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          That will not be a double-acting baking powder, for that you need something that doesn't start to generate gas until it is heated.

          They write as if leaf lard is something you can find in a grocery store, not in any grocery store I've been in over the last 20 years!

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 25, 2026? #48316
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            We're planning creamed tuna on biscuits, sounds both warm and tasty.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48309
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              I made oatmeal cookies using mini M&Ms instead of chocolate chips, and I am making another loaf of Austrian malt bread.

              in reply to: Kitchen remodel #48308
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                Maybe I should start an "Adventures with the Ankarsrum" thread?

                Good idea!

                Two things I'd be interested in are how well it works on very small batches and what the practical upper limit is on a batch. I know when I'd make Paddy's Double Crusty recipe in my 4.5Q KA, it'd come awful close to spilling out of the bowl.

                Occasionally I have a need to make a 3X or 4X batch of challah dough, even a 2X of the recipe I use most (in BBA) has been know to climb up all the way up the dough hook.

                Last Easter I tried to make a double batch of Hot Cross Buns, I wound up splitting it once it was fully mixed together.

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48306
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  I had chili, Diane had some potato soup, keeping warm as best we can.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48302
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    white whole wheat (KA is now calling it 'golden') is said to be less bitter, but I've never really noticed a difference with it.

                    The primary recipe I make with whole wheat flour has a 1/4 cup of honey in it, that probably covers up any bitterness.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48293
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      The temperature has started dropping here already, so I got some chili out of the freezer, enough for tonight and the weekend.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48292
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        Len, if someone brought that pizza to our table at a pizzeria, I'd be quite pleased with it, you did a great job shaping, topping and baking it. Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

                        in reply to: Kitchen remodel #48273
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          My basic rule of kitchen design is you can never have too many drawers. Making sure you have space for multiple people to move around, even with drawers (or the dishwasher) open is also key, There's 45 inches of space between the center island and the counters on either side of it.

                          Yes, this is a big kitchen 17x18 if I remember right.

                          Also our lower cabinets are a full 30 inches deep (countertop edge to wall)
                          and the upper cabinets have an interior depth of 14 inches.

                          in reply to: Special Dry Milk #48271
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            When I ran out of the baker's dry milk last year, I just bought some from Bob's Red Mill. Seems to work just fine.

                            I think what you don't want is the big box of Carnation, because it's very granular and IMHO smells awful. (And I don't even want to think about the taste!)

                            in reply to: Kitchen remodel #48270
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              Stainless steel pans are not always compatible with induction, if a magnet sticks to the bottom, you're good.

                              If you're redoing cabinets, we did two things with all of our lower cabinets. First, the shelves all pull out. Second, there's a drawer at the top of every cabinet and it has a pullout surface that you can use as extra counter space for unloading groceries, as a work surface, etc. The countertops on the lower cabinets are at several different heights, since my wife is shorter than I am. Some of the countertops are butcher block, some are granite. One thing I wish we had was a stainless steel countertop next to a sink for easy cleanup when you do something messy, like cut up a chicken.

                              in reply to: Special Dry Milk #48267
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                Try The Prepared Pantry website, but their delivery charges are high.

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 18, 2026? #48254
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  I can't figure out what you're doing wrong, can you email a photo to me so I can check its size?

                                  nolan at tssi dot com

                                Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 8,095 total)