WSJ Article on inflation hitting bakers among others

Home Forums General Discussions WSJ Article on inflation hitting bakers among others

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Bakers were specifically called out. This link is supposed to go past the paywall.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I thought it was interesting that it mentioned margarine instead of butter, though I think both are way up from a year ago. I did see some sales on butter this past week, but I'm reasonably stocked on it at the moment from past sales.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I suspect that the writer of this article has never darkened the door of a kitchen to bake but remembers a parent or grandparent using "healthy" margarine in the 1970s and 1980s.

I think that the higher butter prices are another consequence of the difficulties in the dairy industry. I did buy a pound of butter at a reasonable price in November, since I use small amounts of it in some recipes.

Also, flour did still go on sale this holiday season, and some good prices were to be had by the careful shopper.

skeptic7
          Participant

I could never tell if the comparison was suppose to be short term like several months, or long term like a decade ago. Flour is more expensive but at least its available as opposed to middle of 2020. I know eggs are definitely more expensive but am not sure thats inflation of just that the supply is less since many flocks were wiped out by bird flu.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.