What Did You Cook the Week of January 8, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What Did You Cook the Week of January 8, 2017?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We are hitting the road tomorrow, so I am starting the thread early. This is also to test whether people might prefer to have the thread opened at the start of the week, so that they can post as they are trying new recipes. Of course, it would be perfectly fine to wait and do a recap at the end of the week, which is what I will probably do.

Here is my cooking for the week: On Sunday, I mixed sautéed vegetables, turkey, and turkey drippings with buckwheat noodles for a fast dinner using leftovers. On Monday, I made soup for lunch on the wood stove, using the rest of the drippings, some vegetables, some canned tomatoes and canned black beans, and barley. I seasoned it with Rosemary. On Wednesday, I made salmon patties for dinner. I needed to use up some parsley, celery, and green onion, so I added them and like the results well enough to do it again. The salmon patties have improved since I started using full-fat yogurt in them. We will have them as sandwiches on the trip home.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: Weekly Cooking; Week of January 8, 2017
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

My big adventures this week were banh mi sandwiches and a cross between kibbi and kofta. I need more work on the kibbi/kofta but it was a trial to see if my kids would eat ground lamb with allspice and cinnamon for spices. They were a hit despite the fact that I overcooked the lamb. I served them with broccoli cooked with the lamb over rice.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

What kind of bread did you use for your bahn mi? There are a half-dozen or so recipes for 'Vietnamese-style baguettes' on the Internet, but I'm not sure I'd know the difference. I think the local bahn mi shops here just use what's available from restaurant suppliers.

I've made a lamb/beef gyros mixture (which I cooked on the rotisserie), but my wife doesn't care for the taste of lamb. Our favorite local gyros maker uses an all-beef gyros meat, so that must be the local preference.

When our younger son was studying in Germany, he subsisted largely on Doner Kebabs, which were available nearly everywhere when we visited him in Berlin and came in a variety of types, beef, beef/lamb, chicken and fish.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

We used baguettes from Whole Foods. I guess I could have made my own baguettes but my wife decided on this at 5:00. My wife does not eat meat and I cannot eat shell fish so we prepared all the veggies and then I cooked chicken and shrimp.

My wife won't eat lamb or beef but I wanted to try something a little different. Plus my son gave me a copy of Jerusalem A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi for fathers day and I wanted to use a recipe from there.

We have a couple of places that make gyros and they both use lamb. One place will also makes chicken.

We'll have a new spot soon that will have schawarma.

cwcdesign
            Participant

On Monday, I made Carrot Ginger Soup from Pia & Simon Pearce's "A Way of Living." It was really, really good! We both wished we had more than one recipe - I just wanted to make it once and the book says you can make the carrot ginger puree and freeze it for future soup. That may in my future plans. I also made Sheet Pan Fajitas, David Lebovitz's Lentil du Puy salad, and last night I made a low-carb taco skillet that was really good - it had one pound of hamburg and lots and lots of vegetables with a little cheese. It was very light and I served it over basmati rice which is acceptable on South Beach. Not sure what I'm going to do the next few days . . .

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'm making a big batch of beef stock today, starting out by roasting some of the shank bones I got at the farmer's market, some beef shanks, various trim pieces from the kitchen that I've saved over the last few months, some neck bones and a sirloin tip roast (just to make sure I've got lots of beef for the soup), with onions, celery and carrots on top. I'll wind up with 10-14 quarts of beef stock, about half of which will go into a batch of vegetable beef soup tomorrow.

There's an ice storm heading our way, so this'll keep the house nice and warm and smelling wonderful.

Italiancook
                Participant

I hope you don't lose power during the ice storm, Mike.

This week, I made Italian Sausage Tomato Sauce. We ate it on rigatoni. I also made Chicken Cacciatore. The two lasted the week. When I leave this website, I'll make Pork Fried Rice for today and tomorrow.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Just reading the forecasts for ice storms in the mid-west made me want to make soup, although we've actually had some pretty mild weather in Vermont this week. So I made split pea soup using the Christmas ham bone, and broccoli-cheddar soup using some of the broccoli in the freezer from my garden last summer. We ate some, and the rest went into the freezer for later this winter. I also made a double batch of Chex Mix to get my husband through the end of football season!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.