What Did You Bake the Week of May 22, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of May 22, 2016?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Tuesday was a busy baking day in preparation for traveling on Wednesday and Thursday. I baked my version of Moomie's buns as nine large rolls. I baked the KAF Christmas Scones, substituting in buttermilk, mixed dried fruit, and some whole wheat pastry flour. I baked two batches of the KAF sourdough crackers--one with cheese powder and one with Penzey's Buttermilk Ranch dressing. On Saturday afternoon, I baked Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies, since we have an invitation from friends to join their family for hamburgers and hotdogs tonight. I've been working on perfecting my cookie recipe. This time I used part bread flour, part KAF all-purpose flour, part white whole wheat flour, and some ground flax meal. I'm pleased with the cookies warm from the oven. (Who wouldn't be?) I will see how their texture is when cooled.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

KAF Easy Cinnamon Bread and Chocolate-Banana Bars. After I ate two of the bars, I had a pang of consciousness. I'm really not supposed to eat chocolate. I gave them all to hubby instead of putting in the freezer as planned. Next time I have 3 ripe bananas, I'm going to make the recipe without chocolate and see how they turn out.

Italiancook
        Participant

Correction: After I submitted the above reply, I realized I should have said "pang of conscience" instead of "pang of consciousness" . . . Could I tell the doctor I ate the chocolate while unconscious?

Would someone tell me how to edit a past after it's submitted? Or isn't there an edit mechanism? Thanks.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

As noted in another thread, the edit button was kind of faint, so I changed the color code.

All I baked this week was Vienna Bread. I did, horror of horrors, buy hot dog buns the other day, because they were on sale and it's Memorial Day Weekend. Hot dogs and potato salad were standard fare on Memorial Day at my mother's house. (I'll make the potato salad tomorrow, because it is best if allowed to age for a day, and will post my reconstruction of her recipe, it's quite a bit different than any other potato salad I've had.)

The Chicago Style hot dog buns on the KAF site are OK, but still a bit heavy compared to 'real' Chicago hot dog buns, and they don't quite hold up to a 'loaded dog' the way a true Chicago dog's bun should. There's a shop in town that gets Vienna beef dogs and buns from Chi and that day-glow green relish that they use in Chicago, when I get desperate for a real Chicago dog, I go there. (There's a new chain restaurant in town called Freddy's that sells something they call a Chicago dog, but it's such a miss from the real thing, they serve it on what appears to be a New England Lobster Roll bun!)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
            RiversideLen
            Participant

I made rye buns.

Rye buns

BakerAunt
              Participant

Seeing these buns, and hearing what Lenny says about them, has convinced me that I need to bake this recipe after we get back from vacation. I am imagining wondrous sandwiches.

S_Wirth
                Participant

Those look wonderful, Lenny! Wish you lived close by so you could bake for us!

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

They look tasty, Lenny, what recipe are you using?

RiversideLen
                    Participant

S_Wirth, maybe we could set up some kind of baking exchange, lol.

I've been making this rye recipe for a number of years now. In my opinion good rye recipes are hard to come by. I found 2 recipes on Food dot com that I like, one was a Jewish rye that was pretty good but then I found this one and it has been my go to recipe. Over the years I have developed a variation of it. I'll be posting my variation in the recipe section but here is the link to the original recipe. I make a half recipe as I only need one loaf/batch of buns at a time.

Old Milwaukee Rye

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

With a name like 'Old Milwaukee Rye', I was wondering if it would have beer as an ingredient.

I don't know that I've ever seen a rye bread recipe that called for beer, but I've seen it in other breads, so it sounds feasible.

yakturn
                        Participant

I made the Vanilla Cake that Sandra A. posted. It turned out very good. Texture and taste was great but it did not raise as I would have liked. (I cut back by one teaspoon baking powder.) Won't do that next time.

luvpyrpom
                          Participant

Did some baking for future lunches, cornbread biscuits, pineapple upside down muffins. These I just bake ahead, wrap individually or pack in mason jars, and freeze. A coworker who raises chickens as a hobby, decided to share his bounty of eggs so I used his eggs to make him a loaf of challah bread. I also tried making Bernard Clayton's chopped apple bread. I think after we finish this loaf, I'm going to try to make it less messy.

JennC13
                            Participant

It was a busy week for me - both baking and other kitchen activities! I got the new ATK Foolproof Preserving cookbook and made strawberry rhubarb jam, pickled red onions and jalapenos and bloody Mary pickled asparagus. All were a hit at the weekend festivities. I also made ATK recipe for perfect chocolate chip cookies, interesting but I think I'll try them again with a couple of modifications. Also made the KAF beautiful burger buns in slider size. At least I got the preserving done early in the week, as I was baking with temps in the 90s and high humidity on Saturday.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I will have to look at that ATK book on preserving. I do have the Ball book. Last year I made jam for the first time but ran into an issue with the blueberry pie filling (did not make enough for the quart jar that I had sterilized, which I ended up freezing instead). People on the Baking Circle told me that blueberries have a lot of water in them, so I would need to make a larger recipe. It would be fun to branch out into other food items.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I like the Farm Journal Canning and Freezing book. I'm not sure if it's still in print but used copies should be available.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.