What are you Cooking the Week of September 15, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 15, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I think left-over pizza for supper here tonight, and I may cook the first of the spaghetti squash, with the intention of using it to make a keto lasagna tomorrow.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Well, heat is not involved, but the cooking thread seems the best place to put today's effort:

At the farmers market yesterday, I talked with one of the vendors who had small cucumbers for pickling. He offered to send me a link to the recipe he uses for refrigerator pickles, so I bought six. On Sunday, I printed the recipe from the blog Well Plated. I followed it except for deleting the garlic at my husband's request, and I replaced the fresh dill with 1 Tbs. dill seed, after consulting internet sources for amount. As I have pickling salt, I used that instead of kosher salt. The recipe stated that it was fine to quarter the cucumbers for spears, so I did that instead of making coins. I have a Ball wide-mouthed quart canning jar that I picked up at the local thrift store a while back, so I used it, along with a screw lid from the packet I bought to fit it and the large jars of honey we buy. We will start sampling them tomorrow at dinner time.

Here's a link to the recipe:

https://www.wellplated.com/refrigerator-pickles/

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I love refrigerator pickles and your recipe sounds good BakerAunt. I made Sloppy Joe's and had it open face with bread. Today was our 53rd anniversary, miss him so much ❤️

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Sunday dinner, my husband pan cooked some boneless pork, which we had with leftover potato wedges from yesterday and more of the green bean salad.

Hugs, Joan! I know that you have lovely memories to sustain you.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I'm making another batch of tomato sauce tonight.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I'm having rotisserie chicken, greens beans and carrots and potato salad.

navlys
                Participant

BA We like pickles. I'll have to try them. Thanks.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I had rotisserie chicken and a salad.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had tuna melts (without the bread) again.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I roasted potato chunks on Monday to go with leftover pork and the rest of the green bean salad. I used some of the potatoes that my husband grew.

I ate a pickle spear for lunch today. While it is nice and crunchy, it does not have much dill flavor. Perhaps I should have used more dill seed. I will still enjoy them, but I will think about how to adjust the spices.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I had two hotdogs with sauerkraut and a slice of the orange coffee cake, gave half to one sister in law will give the rest to the other one.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

When we grocery shopped this morning, I found a package of three bone-in large chicken breasts that were marked down for quick sale. I roasted those for Tuesday night dinner, which will give us plenty of leftovers. I also thawed some chicken broth and made another farro stir-fry using green onion, red bell peppers, mushrooms, and half-cut squash (the zucchini-type one that has the seeds in a bulb at the end). I had two tomatoes that needed to be used quickly, so I cut those up and threw them in, along with some of the kale from the pot my husband still has on the porch, although it is getting tougher. There is enough for one or two more nights.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Update on the pickles: I could taste the dill flavor more today. I really like their crunchiness!

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Dill flavor takes a few days to develop, so I'm not surprised.

Tonight's veal Zurich and spaetzle was great. I made the spaetzle using Carbalose, so it's about a third the carbs of spaetzle made with AP flour, about 10 net carbs/serving (the veal Zurich is only around 4 carbs/serving.)

And it tasted pretty good with the veal.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I had a smoked cheddar cheeseburger (tomorrow is National Cheeseburger Day) with grilled onions, fried potatoes and a salad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.