What are you cooking the week of October 27, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of October 27, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Leftover chili here tonight, what about you?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We were going to have leftovers, but my husband asked if we could alternate it with a different meal, since we've had the gigante bean dish twice in a row. So, for Sunday dinner, I roasted four whole chicken legs. I made a pilaf with onion, mushrooms, a mixture of brown and wild rice cooked in chicken/turkey stock in the rice cooker, and roasted delicata squash that we bought from the apple orchard people. I roasted the squash in the small countertop oven, which I’m finding increasingly useful. We also had microwaved broccoli.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had french toast tonight.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I put a boneless pork roast on the BBQ. Made roasted potatoes with duck fat in the oven.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I made an experimental soup for lunch today (and into the week). I used Penzey's beef base and hot water, and the liquid left from cooking the lima beans last week. I sautéed some onion, celery, and carrots, before adding the liquids, a scant cup barley, and rosemary, thyme, a bay leaf, and a dash of sweet Paprika. As it turns out, I didn't have enough substance in the soup, so I pulled out 15 oz. of garbanzo beans that I had frozen and added them. It's an ok soup and will get me through the next few days, which are supposed to be rather chilly.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

There's snow in our forecast, and the radar screen looks like it'll be here soon, though this is likely to just be a light dusting. We may get 1-2 inches on Wednesday, though, and the forecast for Halloween is more snow in the morning and cold in the evening.

We're having a lavash pizza for supper.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tonight we had cubed pork,leftover greens and fresh potato salad.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight I marinated boneless chicken breast in Italian dressing,pan fried this with a half of onion till done and made some honey mustard dressing for this,macaroni and tomatoes and green beans.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Today I made up bean and beef enchiladas using up left over refried beans from the last taco salad.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I had fun preparing our meal tonight. I made a Dutch baby, something I've thought about doing for many years, but just never followed through. It came out perfect -- puffed right up, beautifully browned, and delicious. I filled it with breakfast sausages and sliced apples which I had precooked. I used a 14" cast iron skillet for the Dutch baby, and a 10 inch for the sausage and apples. Only thing I would change next time is to put more nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon in the batter (I used only a little nutmeg this time) and maybe add about 3 tablespoons of maple syrup to the sausage and apples (in addition to the brown sugar and cinnamon this time). Next summer I plan to fill one with fresh berries and whipped cream. And hey, why not ice cream and chocolate sauce! That would give me a good excuse to buy some of those small, 4"?, cast iron skillets!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We had salad with tuna fish tonight.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had salad with tuna fish tonight.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

For dinner on Wednesday, I made my adaptation of my mother’s hamburger stroganoff, which we had over a blend of wild and brown rice, with microwaved broccoli as a side dish. Instead of low-fat sour cream in the stroganoff, I used Fage 2% Greek yogurt (on sale at store), and it worked well.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                              Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had fried cubed pork,steamed cabbage and macaroni and cheese.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Thursday night's dinner was salmon and couscous with Penzey's Mural seasoning. I had the last few green beans from our garden, and my husband had the little bit of broccoli that he managed to save after the two caterpillar attacks.

Halloween has also brought us our first snow, a wet one, so it isn't sticking. The wood stove (and new insulation in the house) is keeping us cozy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.