What are you Cooking the week of May 19, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of May 19, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Well, we got 3 batches of Cardinal Preserves from our 8 pound flat of strawberries last night, now we just have to put it away (most of it will go in the freezer) before we eat it all!

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday morning, I tried a new recipe, Rosemary Roasted Chickpeas, from a Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest publication, Cut the Sugar (p.78). I used 30 oz. of the chickpeas I cooked last week. These are roasted for 40 minutes with 1 Tbs. of olive oil at 425F. I put them on parchment paper to make cleaning up easier. They do have to be stirred every 10 minutes. Once removed from the oven, they are drizzled with 2 Tbs. olive oil, 1 tsp. dried rosemary (or 1 Tbs. fresh), 1 Tbs. honey; a scant ½ tsp. kosher salt, and ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper. I had a few with the leftover slice of pizza that I had for lunch. These did not knock my socks off, but they are a satisfying snack. I might also try them sprinkled on a salad. There are two other variations in the magazine. I might try a variation with Penzey’s salt-free Forward, which is a seasoning to replace salt that I have not used more than once or twice, as I keep forgetting that I have it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
        • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

No real cooking here today I had froze left over spaghetti and meat sauce so that was defrosted and we had a salad and garlic toast.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We had a beef stir fry with pea pods, mushrooms, bean sprouts and water chestnuts.

When I was cutting the meat up (sirloin), I was going "This is the biceps femoris and this is the gluteus medius, so this must be the 'mouse muscle'".

RiversideLen
            Participant

I waited out the rain, fired up the bbq grill and did hot dogs and hamburgers. Had it with cole slaw made with a simple dressing I got from Allrecipes. (mayo, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar - I used apple cider vinegar - and black pepper. That turned out real nice even though I used more vinegar than called for.

BakerAunt
              Participant

For Sunday dinner, I made a stir-fry with leftover roasted chicken, red bell pepper, celery, carrots, mushrooms; green onion, broccoli; snow peas; soba noodles, and defatted chicken drippings.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Personally, I like a vinegary taste to cole slaw.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Tonight we had a pork roast with potatoes, onions, and carrots all cooked in the tagine, and a side dish of steamed asparagus. I cut extra asparagus, about a quarter of our two rows, and will freeze the excess for a meal next winter.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Dinner on Monday was “Waste Not, Want Not” soup. I used 1 ½ cups of Bob’s Red Mill Vegi-Soup combination (red and brown lentils; split green and yellow peas; bits of barley) and ½ cup pearl barley. I sautéed onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil, added 2 cloves minced garlic, then added the leftover broth from the garbanzo beans I cooked last week and 3 ½ cups of chicken broth from the freezer. I seasoned with 1 Tbs. Penzey’s Bouquet Garni blend, ¼ tsp. ground cumin, 1 Tbs. tomato paste, and parsley. After it simmered for an hour, I added cut turnip greens (left from turnips that came from farmers’ market) and simmered another 20 minutes. We had it with cornbread. It was a perfect dinner on what has been a chilly day.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had beef stew and a green salad.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I had a BLT, my wife had scrambled eggs and bacon.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Fried cubed pork,rice,tomato gravy,left over lima beans and topped with onions soaked in vinegar.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

On a cold evening we had oatmeal for supper, instead of syrup or brown sugar we put in some strawberry jam to sweeten it.

I hope we miss the snow, western Nebraska is getting a lot of it, and parts of Denver got 10 or more inches!

We brought the bedding plants into the garage, I'm sure they appreciate the relative warmth.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Omelets and English muffins with raspberry jam.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Tonight we had chicken breast cooked with onions and some Italian Dressing,baked sweet potatoes and green beans.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.