What are You Cooking the Week of May 17, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of May 17, 2020?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My mother-in-law and her 2nd husband lived near Bayfield WI on Lake Superior for many years, they saw bears on a regular basis. They gave up on finding a way to keep them from opening their garbage cans.

S_Wirth
      Participant

Chocomouse...today must have been the day of extra wild animals showing up at our places. We have so many kinds on a daily basis but today I looked out my picture window and just 15 feet away walked a bobcat. I knew they have been in our area for a few years but have never seen one in our yard. Husband was asleep when I yelled a bobcat is in our front yard, so he did not see it. The bobcat looked right at me and walked on is way.

I'd already chased off skunks and a huge raccoon all day as they raided bird feeders, along with squirrels and a chipmunk as they looked for free foods.

We enjoy our bunnies and the bobcat is a big threat to them.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Our wildlife of the day is a mink that my husband saw. He saw another one the other day, carrying something in its mouth.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Nothing unusual around here today just lots of birds.My husband feeds them meal worms too.

We had pulled pork sandwiches tonight.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Joan Simpson.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We're quite a ways from the edge of town, but we've got some foxes living in our back yard or a neighbor's yard, we see one of them regularly and we've heard a vixen call. (It sounds like a wounded cat.) We've seen coyotes and a few deer, too, plus the usual assortment of possums, raccoons and skunks. (I haven't actually seen a skunk, but I've sure smelled them!)

A few years ago there was a river otter on our back porch, looking totally lost, since the nearest creek is over a mile away. It was after some really heavy rains, my guess is he got flushed downstream by rushing waters and was trying to find a route home.

And then there was the elk that we think probably ran through our back yard because of where they found him. He had been spotted a couple of blocks away in the parking lot at a nearby middle school. He broke his leg jumping a fence that can be reached from our back yard and animal control had to put him down.

I see turkeys and some kind of grouse or pheasant near the middle school all the time. Ducks and geese stay in Lincoln year-round these days, a neighbor sees them in her lawn on her security camera, usually in the early morning.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I had a pork tenderloin sandwich from leftovers and my husband went and got Mexican takeout.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For dinner on Saturday, I did a lighter version of my tuna noodle casserole, which we have not had for a long time. I made the sauce using olive oil in place of butter and adding 1 tsp. dried onion instead of fresh (in deference to my husband). I used low-fat evaporated milk and 2% cheese, which I reduced by ¼ cup. I also sautéed mushrooms in olive oil and added them but no peas. We had the casserole with microwaved fresh broccoli

chocomouse
                  Participant

We've had bears in the area for years, but they seem to stay down in the lower cornfields and not up on our hill. A few weeks ago we had a bobcat, our first, hanging around for a couple of days. We've always had fox (I love to watch the kits roll around and play, just like puppies and kittens), coyotes, lots of deer, moose, but we seem to have a wider variety this year.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Dinner tonight was grilled steak, Greek pasta salad, and fresh asparagus from our garden!

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had steak, mushrooms, baked potato and broccoli.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.