What are you Cooking the Week of January 9, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 9, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Probably potato soup for us tonight, unless we have it for lunch instead.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I pan fried pork chops,potato salad and the last of the black eyed peas.

Thanks all for the well wishes I'm feeling much better.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

It'll be potato soup and salad for supper here.

BakerAunt
          Participant

My husband wanted the leftover potato, ham, and spinach pie from last night's dinner, so that is what we had for Sunday dinner. It was easily heated up in my countertop convection oven after I moved it to a metal pie pan.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Will's making salmon with roasted potatoes and shredded zucchini. The salmon is a splurge as it has gotten so expensive!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Fresh salmon is really expensive, and has been for a while, the frozen stuff is still a bit cheaper here.

But any protein is getting expensive, bacon is up nearly 100% over a year ago.

chocomouse
                Participant

I got salmon on sale this week for 6.99/lb. I do splurge, though, we have it about every other week.

Our dinner tonight was lasagna with a green salad. Last night we had split pea soup, made from the Christmas ham bone, and garlic knots. I'm going to fill the freezer with winter meals of all the leftovers! Today we had our 3rd ice storm in 2 weeks, and temps are predicted to be 10 below 0 tomorrow night.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

We sell it at the Market - it comes in twice a week from the Faroe Islands. It is the best salmon I have had, so I will splurge once in a while - it has gone up $8/pound in the last 4 months

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I paid $10.99 a pound for fresh salmon filet at Whole Foods yesterday. I've never been disappointed with the quality of their salmon.

Tonight, I had a pork chop, potato and cauliflower.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

I wish we had a Whole Foods nearby - sigh. You would think that living on the coast, we would get lots of good seafood, but even the stores that have their own boats mostly have shrimp which I can no longer eat. There is not a huge variety here. I think that is one of the things I miss the most about living in Massachusetts. We were so close to New Bedford and not only did our local store have its own boats, but they are also on the docks everyday to see what is freshest.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I don't eat shrimp either, I had a bad reaction to some shrimp creole many years ago and whether it's psychological or physical I just don't care for it. I haven't had a problem with fish, nor with crab or lobster, though our younger son can't eat shellfish.

The Red Lobster in Lincoln closed during the pandemic, aside from a few sushi places there aren't a lot of places specializing in fish here. My wife doesn't like salmon or red snapper, so when we have fish other than canned tuna she usually has orange roughy and I have salmon. (Around here frozen salmon is cheaper than frozen orange roughy.) Cod (or whatever they make fish sticks from) is OK for both of us.

Living on the coast probably wouldn't increase our fish intake much. I'm a steak and potatoes guy.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

We had a char grilled chicken breast,macaroni and cheese and green beans.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Dinner on Monday was roasted acorn squash stuffed with leftover filling from when I made this recipe on Friday. This time I had a gold acorn squash. I roasted the halves at 400F for 45 minutes before stuffing them, grating Parmesan over the top, and cooking another 10 minutes. This squash also was not sweet, but at least it was not bitter. I think the higher temperature did make for better texture.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had potato soup with a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Leftover ham and split pea soup, with dinner rolls from the freezer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.