What are you Cooking the Week of January 3, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 3, 2021?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Mike, your Aerogarden looks fantastic! What a great Christmas present!

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I'm starting a batch of chicken stock today, and making spaghetti with meat sauce for supper.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had cubed steak with gravy,rice and scalloped cheese potatoes.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight I grilled a boneless chicken breast that I marinated in oil,vinegar,garlic powder,onion powder,paprika,salt,pepper,a little sugar and Worcestershire sauce.I made a honey mustard sauce to go with it.We had carrots and thickened potatoes.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Sounds delicious, Joan!

I was glad to have a fast dinner planned for Wednesday. I boiled rigatoni (Italian, from Aldi’s) in the defatted drippings from our turkey, along with a little broth. I sauteed carrot strips and thick celery slices in olive oil. Once the liquid boiled for the pasta, I put a colander over it and the rest of a package of frozen broccoli into it, then covered with a lid, so that it could steam while the pasta cooked. I cut up some of our leftover turkey, then combined everything in a big pasta bowl. I grated Parmesan cheese over it and mixed it in. It’s simple, and we can probably make another two meals from it.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

BakerAunt yours sounds delicious too!

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I made beef-n-bean enchiladas tonight.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Thursday, we made our first grocery run since before Thanksgiving to the larger town northeast of here. I was able to buy Stonyfield full-fat plain yogurt, which meant that I could make a batch of yogurt today. Walmart still carries it. Apparently Kroger no longer carries it. I also noted with dismay that Kroger no longer had Kraft shredded 2% cheese, the only lower fat one they carried. They were the only store in our area where I could find any kind of reduced cheese.

I was irritated to note that the 1% milk I buy now lists its calcium as 250 mg, whereas before it was 300. Maybe the rules for calculating it changed? I decided to increase the Bob's Red Mill Milk powder that I add for yogurt from 3 to 4 Tbs.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Today I'm making a batch of chicken noodle soup.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Today I made one of our favorite casseroles, which we don't have very often. It is chicken breasts on a bed of sauteed onions, garlic, spinach, then a layer of mushrooms - all topped with shredded mozzarella. I didn't get much of the liquid squeezed out of the spinach, so next time I'm going to try fresh spinach instead of frozen. I'll make the leftovers into a soup, possibly adding some small pasta, maybe orzo, or rice.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had hamburger steaks,fries and pork-n-beans.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I made a big pot of Brunswick Stew,so good on this cold day.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Yes, Joan, a pot of food is great when it is cold!

Saturday night’s dinner was black-eyed peas, cooked with a ham hock, then mixed with brown rice prepared in my rice cooker. I added celery sauteed in grapeseed oil, chopped parsley and re-hydrated onion, then cut the meat off the ham bone and returned it to the pot. I added a bit of pepper. Had I been making it just for me, I would have added some chili powder. I’m just glad that I have found some bean dishes my husband will eat. We have enough for two or three more meals.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We had mac and cheese with some fresh salad from the Aerogarden. We're harvesting from it every 3-4 days, usually getting enough for 2-4 salads depending on how big we want them. As a few more plants get into their prime picking range, we'll probably have to start picking every other day.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.