What are you Cooking the Week of December 3, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 3, 2023?

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Apple Butter saga continues on Saturday.

I let it set out a bit to warm it up, then put it in the crockpot on low. I realized it might take a long time. Part of that might be that my crockpot is older and does not do the high temperatures of new ones. As for canning, the Ball canning book said that the apple butter should "heap on a spoon," and be bubbling for the canning process. I realized that would not happen on low, so I turned my crockpot on high and kept an eye on it, stirring as needed, and occasionally reducing the heat. It took another four hours, but I was able to do other things while I watched it. After dinner, I decided it was thick enough. I canned three 8 oz. jars and one 4 oz. jar. I had not quite enough for a second 4 oz. jar, so that went into the refrigerator. The headspace in the jar needs to be ¼ inch, and I processed for ten minutes and let them rest for five minutes before removing. Each jar sealed shortly after I put them on the mat to start cooling. I will check the seals tomorrow.

BakerAunt
      Participant

We had salmon and couscous for dinner on Saturday with microwaved fresh broccoli. It was an easy dinner to do while I tended my apple butter and bread projects.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.