What are you Cooking the week of December 29, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of December 29, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Last cooking thread for 2019.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday, I made soup, using a bean-barley mix that I had on hand, along with some of the turkey broth I made last week, and carrots, celery, parsley, and onion. I seasoned with rosemary and thyme, and freshly ground black pepper at the end, but it was a bit bland, so I perhaps should have used more of the spices.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Chicken soup and a burger.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

No cooking here,my husband has been very sick since Christmas Day I thought he was getting pneumonia and stubborn as an ox not wanting to go to the doctor,finally got him there today and he's got a good case of bronchitis and 4 meds and an inhaler.He was a smoker and he's vowed to quit as he has no air.I pray he'll over this and quit them nasty cigarettes,we shall see.I'll have to walk on egg shells for a while,pray for me too!We did Chick fil a tonight.I had cobb salad with fried chicken he only had grilled chicken nuggets.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Ah, Joan, I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.

We had leftover soup from last night with leftover cornbread. We were amazed how soft the cornbread still is, as our experience is that it dries out. The only two differences are that I baked it in the scone pan, and I used the stoneground cornmeal from Spring Mill. The cornmeal also seems to have a sweeter taste than what I usually use.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
              chocomouse
              Participant

So sorry your husband is sick, Joan, but hopefully some good will come as a result. I'll be thinking of both of you.

Our dinner was chicken thighs with Penzey's Greek seasoning, butternut squash, and mashed potatoes.

Italiancook
                Participant

Joan, I hope you don't catch the illness.

Yesterday, I make Martha Stewart's Eggnog. I learned a strainer lesson. I used an old strainer for the liquid. I used a spatula to swirl the last of the eggnog. I ended up with tiny particles of egg in the nog. What this recipe needs is a modern fine mesh strainer, or one layer of cheese cloth lining an older strainer.

Day before, I made KAF English Muffin Toasting Bread. I used that today to make KAF French Toast, using my eggnog as the cream. I didn't use the sugar; there's sugar in the eggnog. I also didn't use the alcohol. Or, the butter for the skillet. I used light olive oil to coat the skillet. This made delicious french toast. With 3 eggs also in the batter, I've relegated this to special occasions. I ended up with 9 - 5/8" slices with the batter.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Tuesday (New Year’s Eve), I experimented with making my Town Meeting Chicken [Turkey] Pie in a non-butter version. I made a half recipe, using about 3 cups leftover turkey and 12 oz. frozen peas and carrots. I had 2 ¾ cups of the defatted turkey drippings left. I heated it, then mixed a third cup of Clear Jel into ½ cup cold turkey broth from the batch I made last week. I added it to the drippings, and they thickened nicely. I added 2 Tbs. flax meal to give a nutritional boost, then added the frozen vegetables. I thought the “gravy” a bit thin, so I mixed up another 2 Tbs. Clear Jel with about ¼ cup of broth and added it. The other seasonings and the turkey were added, and I proceeded with the recipe, as I’ve posted it at Nebraska Kitchen. For the biscuits, I used as my base recipe one from Crisco oil for an oil-based biscuit. However, I used half whole wheat pastry flour, replaced the milk with buttermilk, and used 2 tsp. baking powder and ¼ tsp. baking soda, with just ½ tsp. salt. The dough was a little dry, as were the biscuits, so next time, I’ll use an additional Tbs. of oil. The biscuits rose well on top of the turkey mixture. I was pleased with the result, and my husband liked it.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I had a turkey sandwich and my husband had a bowl of soup.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I made pizza dough and I had pizza for supper,my husband just ate a bowl of soup.He has no appetite at all,hoping it'll pickup in a day or two.He has hardly ate anything since Christmas Eve.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

New Year’s Day dinner was maple-glazed tenderloin (Cook’s Illustrated), mashed potatoes, black-eyed peas, and microwaved green beans, along with applesauce from the freezer that I made late summer.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I made a “throw together” lunch out of mostly leftovers after we returned from our morning shopping trek to the next town. I used the rest of the turkey broth and the leftover potato water. I added uncooked wholegrain pasta leftover from something. I added the small tomato that ripened from a green one. I chopped up a bit of onion. I threw in a small can of chicken. When the pasta was close to finished (and much of the broth absorbed, I added some torn kale and let it wilt. Spices were a bit of sweet curry powder, some poultry seasoning, and some pepper. I finished it with coarsely grated Parmesan on the part I ate. The other half is for lunch tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I'm roasting my last two pie pumpkins. Most of the puree will be frozen, but I will use some of it to bake Stanley Ginsburg's wonderful whole wheat-rye-seed and nut pumpkin bread for the third time.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I had leftover pizza and I scrambled 2 eggs for my husband and he didn't eat all of them, he had one piece of french toast this morning,sure wishing he'll get an appetite back.I'm good though...so far!

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made sloppy joes yesterday. Today I made a pizza and topped it with some of the leftover sloppy joe meat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.