What are you Cooking the week of January 26, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of January 26, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We picked up a rotisserie chicken to have with a salad and whole wheat pasta tossed with Parmesan. We considered going out for my birthday, but of the three dinner restaurants in our town, the one we would have visited is closed for a winter break. The other two are Mexican and Italian, neither conducive to my husband's issue with onion and spices.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Sometimes it seems like more work to go out to eat and hassle with what is safe for my wife to eat on the menu than to just cook something at home.

And so many of the restaurants are really noisy these days, you can't hardly hear the person sitting across from you talking without yelling. And then they play REALLY LOUD MUSIC so you can't hear the conversation at other tables, or anything else.

Also, they jam as many tables as they can in the dining room and the decor doesn't do much to dampen sound, either, no carpet, no tablecloth, no ceiling tiles. And having the kitchen open to the dining room just adds to the noise level.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I agree about going out to eat.

Mike good to know your soup lasted so long in the freezer and was still good.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I cooked a pot of rice and we had leftover chili on top with cheese and onions.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I often have soup in the freezer for a year or two, but this one was way at the back. I've got some minestrone from 2-3 years ago that I should get out, too, though that'll be just for me, as my wife didn't like it much, too many veggies she didn't like the taste of in it.

Tonight we had bottom round, slow roasted, with some from-scratch mashed potatoes and gravy.

BakerAunt
              Participant

For dinner tonight, my husband cooked pork on the stove top, as he does so well. I cubed some yellow potatoes, tossed them with olive oil, sprinkled on a bit of salt, then roasted them at 375F on the convection setting for 40 minutes. They were browned but soft, which we like. We had microwaved frozen peas as well.

chocomouse
                Participant

We had pizza -- hot Italian sausage, onions, red peppers, mushrooms, cheddar and mozzarella.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had the last of the French onion soup tonight. :sigh:

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had leftover spaghetti out of the freezer with garlic toast.

navlys
                      Participant

I used my new grill pan to cook a strip steak I bought on sale. I carefully checked the steaks for the most marbled and I think I hit the jackpot. Some strip steaks I have purchased in the past were tough and tasteless .

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had pan fried cubed steak,sour cream mashed potatoes and cooked carrots.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

For dinner on Friday, I made stir-fry using the leftover pork and deglazed pan drippings from last night. Vegetables were carrots, celery, red bell pepper, Baby Bella mushrooms, broccoli, kale, and I threw in the leftover potatoes (not that many). The potatoes don't really go but they don't clash either. I combined it with soba noodles.

Italiancook
                            Participant

I made The Neely's (Food Network) Asparagus Soup. It's really an easy soup to make and tastes scrumptious. Unfortunately, it makes only 1 quart 1 cup. I usually make a double batch so I have a quart for the freezer. I just didn't think about it when I was admiring the asparagus in the market.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

We had take out Mexican tonight.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

BakerAunt, your stir fry sounds scrumptious.

Yesterday I made a pork loin roast, whipped mashed potatoes and broccoli. Dessert was a cupcake.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.