What are you Cooking the week of January 26, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of January 26, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No dinner plans here yet.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I'm making a small pot of chili tonight.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I think we're having sandwiches on the rye rolls, which are quite good, a bit milder than I expected. I'll have a full report on them up by tomorrow, with pictures.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We're having leftover hamburger stroganoff on brown and mixed rice, with microwaved mixed vegetables from the freezer. I like having leftovers.

chocomouse
            Participant

Husband had a business meeting tonight, so I had a tuna fish sandwich on rye bread from the freezer. And 2 lemon cookies!

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Tuesday, with three inches of snow on the ground outside, I made pea soup for lunch. I had to use green split peas, as I have not been able to find yellow ones locally or at a reasonable shipping cost, but I like green pea soup as well. My husband is not a fan, so I get to eat the whole batch myself. It goes well with the crispbread that I baked last week.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

bulkfoods.com has yellow split peas at a little over $2 per pound for five pounds, plus shipping. They're in Chicago, so shipping to Indiana may be reasonable. If you order $75 or more from them, shipping is just $5. I get citric acid powder from them (I use it in the dishwasher, among other things) and it isn't hard for me to hit $75.

Unfortunately, they don't carry medium rye flour, which is what I'm currently shopping for. Many of the recipes in The Rye Baker call for medium rye flour, and it looks like if I do all 78 recipe just once I'll need somewhere between 50 and 150 pounds of it. I haven't checked the local Sysco office yet, so I don't know if they stock it, but I can get it online for about $1.35 a pound (in a 50 pound bag), including shipping. Not surprisingly, the shipping is more expensive than the flour. If I can wait until summer, I may be able to get my son to pick up a big bag from Stover Company near Pittsburgh for under $21, if they decide to drive out here for their usual summer visit.

Honeyville has yellow split peas, 25 pounds for 40.99, and they now offer $6.99 flat rate shipping. That would bring the cost for 50 pounds of medium rye flour for me down to about $1.24 a pound. Sara Wirth used to order from them a lot, I don't know if she still does, both of you are in their truck route area.

Italiancook
                  Participant

I buy cream of tartar from bulkfoods.com I don't recall what I pay for shipping, but I'm pleased with their product and the delivery time.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Italiancook.
                    • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Italiancook.
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

My neighbors just got back from a Caribbean cruise and brought me back a spice rub from Bonaire Dutch Caribbean. So I'm using some on pork chops that I am going to bake. Not sure what I'm going to have with it.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We're having French Onion Soup tonight, out of the freezer.

Len, you'll have to tell us how that spice is, some Caribbean spices can be pretty hot.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

The spice is mild. Not impressed with it on the pork chop but I also used it on a chicken burger for lunch, it was really good on that. The spice is a blend of smoked paprika, brown sugar, garlic, dry mustard, ginger, cumin, pepper and salt. Probably made for the tourist trade.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Yeah, that sounds like the run-of-the-mill spice blend that shows up on things like Google.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Tonight I fried cubed steak and cooked pole beans and new red potatoes.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Dinner was grilled salmon, rice with asparagus, and a green salad.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had French onion soup again, and there's enough left for another round of it. This is from a batch I made and froze in 2012, it kept very well in the freezer. Since then I've switched to making it with chicken stock instead of beef stock.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.