What are you Cooking the Week of August 6, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 6, 2023?

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I made a sloppy Joe, cauliflower and mashed tater.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I had a scant cup of grated zucchini left over from when I baked the Zucchini Oatmeal cookies earlier in the week. For lunch on Saturday, I sauteed chopped onion in olive oil, then added the grated zucchini and briefly cooked. I whisked an egg and poured it over the zucchini-onion mixture. After the egg set, I had planned to flip it, but I realized that would be difficult, so I settled for sprinkling ¼ cup of mozzarella over it, then folding it like an omelet. I put it between two slices of bread, after adding a couple slices of tomato, and it was an excellent sandwich.

To go with leftover roasted chicken thighs on Saturday, I made a mash-up of Kenji Alt-Lopez's "Fast and Easy Pasta with Blistered Cherry Tomato Sauce and Deb Perelman's "Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta." We have an abundance of cherry tomatoes, as my husband accidentally planted an extra one that he thought was a regular tomato plant. I heated 3 cloves of minced garlic in cold olive oil for about 30 seconds, then added cherry tomatoes--about 2 ½ cups. Although Kenji does not cut them, my experience is that they should be halved. While the tomatoes cooked for 10 minutes, I started 8 oz. of water for rigatoni. In a separate skillet, I sauteed red bell pepper and green onion in olive oil, then added sliced mushrooms, more olive oil, then chopped yellow and zucchini squash. I had a bit of leftover kale, so I threw that in. As the tomatoes got saucy, I added a bit of pasta water. I poured the vegetable mixture into the now saucy tomatoes and added a splash of balsamic vinegar. (That idea came from Deb.) I drained the pasta, reserving some of the water and added the pasta to the tomato mixture. I added just enough pasta water to make a nice sauce, then grated Parmesan over it and mixed it in. I grated extra Parmesan over individual servings. Cherry tomatoes make a great light sauce with just the right amount of sweetness. My husband is now glad that we will have so many cherry tomatoes.

We had some of a small loaf of zucchini bread from the freezer for dessert, so I have eaten a lot of summer squash today!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had steak on the grill and steamed artichokes, plus ice cream with hot fudge or chocolate sauce for dessert.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.