What are you Cooking the Week of August 4, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking β€” (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 4, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My, where did the summer go? My wife has about two weeks before she has to head back to campus to get ready for the fall semester.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I had another BBQ sandwich and a salad.

BakerAunt that green bean salad with feta cheese sounds so good.I looked at the recipe.

chocomouse
        Participant

Tonight we grilled chicken thighs, and had asparagus and green salad with them.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Joan--I hope you get a chance to try it!

Dinner on Sunday was ham sandwiches on WW/Rye/Semolina buns (the last from the freezer), an ear of sweet corn each, and the rest of the green bean salad.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Mike, the schools here are supposed to be starting back on Thursday -unless the flooding from the rains of Debby delay it.

Joan, i hope you can stay safe and dry.

I went to a friend's for dinner tonight and Will made Annie's mac and cheese - he always adds carrots and peas to it.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I have heard that a few schools start up in July, but I don't think any of them do in Nebraska. A few years back people were proposing a year-round schedule with 3 or 4 breaks of 2-3 weeks each. It never gained traction.

When the schools open up, the pools close, because the lifeguards are all back in school. Unfortunately, the heat usually sticks around until mid-September.

I had a tomato-salami-turkey sandwich and a small salad tonight, Diane had hard boiled eggs.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

My electric has been off and on all day so I ate early and had a hamburger and corn on the cob.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Stay safe, Joan.

For dinner on Monday, I made that green bean, cherry tomato, and feta salad yet again. We had it with an ear of corn each and more leftover roasted chicken breast. I like these easy summer meals.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I picked two 5-ounce tomatoes this evening, so we had tuna salad on tomato. I think these were Celebrity, I've got several Italian Heirloom that should be ripe possibly this week or early next week, they're about softball size.

navlys
                      Participant

I am planning on making a panzanella salad to bring to wine club. Any recommendations on what tomatoes to use?

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

What's available? Fresh from your garden would be best, farmer's market a second best choice, fruit and veg stands #3, and then whatever you can find at the grocery store, preferably locally sourced. The further they have to travel, the more likely they are to be picked while still somewhat green and 'ripened', which adds color but IMHO not much flavor.

I've been buying the 'tomatoes on the vine' ones at the store since last season, those seem to be the most likely to taste like a tomato. Smaller store-bought tomatoes tend to be better than bigger ones, too.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I had a hamburger steak and corn on the cob with some pickles.

I'm lucky to have a local farmstand a couple miles from me and they have everything local from meats to fresh eggs and vegetables and mushrooms, jams and jellies, goat cheese and spreads.It's really good.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

You are lucky, Joan! While I have access to a small weekly farmers market, it is often hit or miss as to what I will find there.

Dinner tonight was ham sandwiches on freshly baked buns with green bean, cherry tomato, and feta salad.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We had take-out salads from Amigos, with some low-carb adjustments.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I made pizza for my supper tonight. It turned out really good. I made the crust this morning with 1/4 tsp of yeast like Len had said and it was good.It has hamburger, pepperoni, onion, red and green peppers, mushrooms and black olives with lots of cheese.This will be my supper tonight , breakfast in the morning and supper tomorrow night πŸ˜‹

IMG_1131

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.