What are you cooking the week of August 18, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of August 18, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm not sure I've ever made egg salad before, so I had to kind of come up with a recipe, as my wife didn't want one that had onion, celery or a few other things in it. (Egg salad shouldn't be crunchy.)

I wound up putting in some salt, pepper, mustard, lemon juice and, after several taste tests, some celery seed. I started with Miracle Whip and wound up adding a little Hellman's Mayo as well. (Miracle Whip is too sweet, IMHO.) I kept increasing the amount of lemon juice, too.

Next time I may leave out the salt and use celery salt instead.

My wife took the leftovers for lunch and she said it was very tasty, aging it overnight appears to help mellow the flavors.

I think this is likely to get added to the repertoire here.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Mike when making egg salad I like a little sweet pickle relish also,another version I've had is chopped green stuffed olives in egg salad,that's very good.I never add mustard but it's probably good like you've made it.

Tonight I cooked steamed cabbage with that I fried cubed pork.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Joan Simpson.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Yeah, I saw several recipes that called for sweet pickle relish, something I use mainly in Thousand Island Dressing. (I've also got dill relish that we sometimes use on hot dogs.) I may try it in a future batch.

I put in a small amount of mustard, probably less than a teaspoon (for 5 eggs), and my wife thought that was too much. Personally, all I could taste at first was the sweetness of the Miracle Whip.

Olives are one of those love-it-or-hate-it ingredients. I like to put chopped olive in tuna salad, my wife can't stand it in tuna salad. It'd be worth trying in egg salad.

Eventually, perhaps I'll get to a recipe I think is good enough to post online.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We found some nice, small chicken breasts on sale at Kroger yesterday when we were over in the larger nearby town, so tonight’s dinner is my Panko-Encrusted roasted chicken breasts (rubbed with a bit of low-fat mayonnaise, then coated in Panko, a bit of Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Penzey’s roasted onion powder, and pepper. They were accompanied by roasted fingerling potatoes (the recipe I wrote about a couple of weeks ago, and microwaved fresh broccoli.

chocomouse
            Participant

BLTs!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I think I suggested a half-dozen ideas for supper tonight, none of which clicked.

Finally I suggested lavash pizza. It was excellent. The brand of pepperoni I've been buying now has garlic listed as an ingredient but I found a less well known brand (Bridgford) that doesn't list garlic and it was pretty good, it added a kick but wasn't too assertive.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I haven't had an egg salad sandwich for a long time. I always made mine with mayonnaise (Kraft), onion, and sliced green olive stuffed with pimento. I'll have to see if I can find a very small jar of stuffed olives, as I'd only use them for the sandwiches, and my husband does not care for olives.

Corrected: I've no idea why the original post said green onion instead of green olive!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

I had one of the stuffed peppers I made yesterday. I made some sauce with 3 of my tomatoes and some fresh basil and oregano. I've been thinking about pizza lately, I haven't made one in while, so I made up some pizza dough for the next several days. Made it with equal amounts of bread flour, white whole wheat, rye and semolina.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I started the morning out with cooking a pot of fig jam that I added a box of raspberry jello at the end of cooking,I got 5 and a half pints which I will take to my sister the next time I visit.

For supper tonight we had dried lima beans,rice and tomato gravy and I fried a slice of ham.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Dinner tonight was grilled pork chops, summer squash, broccoli salad, and zoodles tossed with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and Greek dressing.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We had tacos tonight.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made a pizza and a salad. Pizza toppings were a stuffed pepper that I diced up and thin sliced onion. I don't know why, but real thin slice onion is best for pizza.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Len--maybe it's because onion has a lot of water in it?

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Left over spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had BLTs.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.