What are you cooking the week of August 18, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of August 18, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm going to make a simplified ratatouille with some summer squash and supper will be stuffed peppers. I may also make some potato salad with some red potatoes we received from a friend's farm share, which is also where the squash came from.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Simple supper here tonight- fried ham sandwich and french fries.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Our neighbors gave us sweet corn from their farm, so Sunday night’s dinner was Sloppy Josephines on Wheat-Oat Flax Buns, with an ear of sweet corn each.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I made a boneless pork roast on the bbq, had it with a little spaghetti and salad.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I have been diligently picking blackberries on our terrace ever since they started ripening. A single red one remains, but I picked the last ripe one on Monday morning. I had hoped that with these, and some from my husband’s woods, that I would have enough for a single recipe of seedless blackberry jam, but my husband discovered that the trees in his woodland have now shaded out most of the wild blackberries, so I had to make do with the additional few he found. After I’d removed the seeds, I only had a scant 2 cups, and the recipe calls for 3 ¼ cups of crushed fruit. I was going to buy frozen strawberries to make up the difference, but the store only had an off brand. However, the fresh strawberries looked surprisingly good, so I bought a pound, and that gave me enough fruit. I made jam this evening, using my Ball Jam Maker—the one that does the stirring for me—then filled 3 one-cup jars but only had enough to fill an additional half-cup jar, with a bit of jam left over that went into the refrigerator. I processed the jars, and I heard four pings, so the seals should be good. The jam has great flavor, so I’m happy with this batch, even if it is not an all blackberry jam

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Joan Simpson
              Participant

We've had a lot of rain and it's cooled off so I made a pot of hamburger vegetable soup with fresh pimento cheese sandwiches.Now I want to vent about me getting the cheese at Publix today.I told the girl she was about 25-30 yrs. old I wanted a chunk of cheese about a pound or better showed her like 4 inches she brought the loaf over and I said yes,cut it right there so I can grate it.I was watching and she went straight to the slicer and said "It won't open up that far I'm gonna have to get you a couple thick slices"I looked at her and said "That's why I told you to cut it with the knife".She looked at me like I didn't know what I was saying.She finally went in the back and got a knife and I was on my way.Sometimes I just don't get it some people have no common sense.I was not rude or ugly just makes me wanna shake my head.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My guess she's never been trained to cut big hunks of cheese because it isn't a common request. Otherwise they'd have knives available without having to go in the back. We've been getting Genoa salami from the deli at the closest WalMart lately, I have to say their clerks do a good job of paying attention to our instructions.

I bought some food at a drive-through fast food place recently. It came to $10.10. I handed the clerk a $20 bill and a dime. He had to ask someone how to enter that so he could make correct change.

As Art Buchwald used to say, you can't make stuff like this up!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

I had a late lunch so for dinner, I just a salad with some sliced up left over pork in it.

Many years ago, I went to an Arby's for a late night snack, the bill some some dollars and change, not wanting more change I gave the counter dude (who looked a little high) a 5 dollar bill and coins for the change, he looked bewildered for a moment, handed me back the loose coins I had given him, then made change for the $5. All he had to do was punch into the register the money I gave him and it would have told him how much to give back to me, but even that was beyond him.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

An apple vendor was at the farmers market last Saturday morning. When I asked for a good apple for applesauce, he pointed to one of his piles of “seconds” that he was selling for $1 a pound. I bought three pounds, and on Tuesday afternoon, I made applesauce using the recipe a friend gave me some years ago. These apples cooked up quickly and made a beautiful and tasty pink sauce. I added ¾ cup sugar, so the sauce is just the right level of sweet but not too sweet. I’ll freeze some, and we will eat the rest in the coming week. I had hoped the vendor would be at the Tuesday night market, so that I could buy some more, but he did not come this evening.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Tonight we had chicken tenders,mashed potatoes and gravy with cooked carrots.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We had sliders done on the grill, too hot to cook indoors today.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had egg salad sandwiches tonight.

chocomouse
                            Participant

We had ham steaks cooked on the grill, broccoli (from the garden) salad, and corn on the cob from the market.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

No cooking here,leftovers of soup and pimento cheese sandwiches.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I ran out of leftovers so I pulled out a tray of stuffed peppers (red bell and jalapenos) from the freezer. I timed it right so I could bake those while the oven was preheating for my buns. When the buns came out, the peppers were also done. Had a salad with it which included one of my homegrown tomatoes. That tomato was good!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.