What are you Baking the Week of October 6, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 6, 2024?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking today/tomorrow, either.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We are getting ready for my husband's cousins' reunion this week. On Sunday, I baked a double batch of my adaptation of Ellen's Buns. I made ten from each recipe. In the evening, I baked a pumpkin pie. My blind baked crust stuck to the parchment I used to line it, so I had to do some repair work with a wet spoon and fingers. The pie looks great, but it has that one spot where it breaks through, like a very small circle. It seems to be a feature that happens with this oven, as it was not an issue with any other oven.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

It's quiet here!

We did our challah bake at temple. It was fun. Not sure how many people actually baked their bread once they were home but the kids enjoyed it. I made a few batches of dough and I also made three loaves of challah for the kids to sample.

The one challenge was rather than cleaning the tables and having the kids roll the challah on the table, they had them do it on paper tablecloths. The kids either floured the paper very heavily and then had trouble making the strands stick or, like Violet they rolled them into strands in their hands. Then they weren't tight enough. While they stuck together the strands melted into each other while rising.

While waiting for the first loaf to rise everyone mixed their own batch of dough.

We baked off the first loaf waiting for the second to rise. Then I shaped it into a coiled, round loaf and we baked it. We gave it to one of Violet's friends who was at the house to take home.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Aaron I'm glad your baking of the Challah went well and the kids had fun!

Today I made more sourdough to bake tomorrow and I've got a loaf of sourdough cinnamon raisin bread rising to bake tonight so I hope it turns out good for breakfast.

IMG_1364

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.