What are you Baking the Week of October 23, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 23, 2022?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking today, probably.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I started the morning with baking. The pears that a vendor had at the farmers market for the past month have been sweet and delicious. Over a week ago, I bought a different kind that does not soften as much but was ready, so on Sunday I used one to bake Pear Cardamom Oatmeal Muffins, a recipe from Marisa Moore's website. My changes were to replace white whole wheat flour with whole wheat flour, reduce the cardamom to ½ tsp. (I pulverize the seeds before I use it, which makes the taste stronger than the pre-ground spice), reduce the salt by half, and the brown sugar from 1//2 to 1/3 cup. I delete the vanilla and add 1/3 cup chopped walnuts. I baked them as six large muffins, so they needed 17 minutes. I will freeze about half of the muffins.

chocomouse
        Participant

I have an apple pie in the oven.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I had some apples that needed to be used, a combination of the Spy Gold and Rubinette, a variety that the farmers market vendors say they would give to their church to use in its apple dumplings. I bought these as seconds, so there were some bad places to cut out. I decided on Tuesday to see if I could make a lower saturated fat version of the Butterscotch Apple Sweet Rolls that were featured in Sift (Fall 2015), p. 40, and which I think is on the KABC website.

In the rolls, I replaced the sour cream with fat-free Fage Greek yogurt and the butter with 2 Tbs. avocado oil. I used half whole wheat flour and added 2 Tbs. flax meal and 2 Tbs. special dry milk. I needed to add 2 Tbs. more water as the dough kneaded in the bread machine. I used special Gold yeast.

For the filling, I used 1 Tbs. butter and 2 Tbs. avocado oil, and I used regular Clear Jel. I probably put in too much apple. I had cut out bad places and thought I might need more, so I added another small one. It was hard to roll up the dough and cut the sweet rolls because there was so much filling. While the dough seemed a bit dry, I think that worked well with the filling. I used my own glaze recipe from my usual sweet rolls, which is about a third less than what the Sift recipe specifies.

We had had a busy day, since we did the big shopping trip today, and I got a late start on this baking project. I made the filling for the sweet rolls before dinner, then made the dough and baked them afterwards, so by the time they were glazed, it was after 10 p.m. Although it was late, we decided that a late-night treat was in order. I cannot remember the last time we have done that. These rolls are so good.

navlys
            Participant

Your recipe alterations are amazing!

BakerAunt
              Participant

Thanks, Navlys. The alterations do not always work on the first try, but I can usually nail it by the second.

I'm thinking about making another batch of the apple filling and freezing it for future sweet rolls when apples are no longer available.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I "baked' maple granola on Friday.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Having frozen apple pie filling is a big plus, you just get it out a day or two ahead of time to thaw, but I have to get pre-made pie crusts out then, too.

I'm currently out of frozen pie crusts, not sure when I'll do another batch of them, possibly before Thanksgiving, though that's going to be relatively quiet this year, at least compared to Christmas when our son and family will be here.

We're running low on cinnamon rolls and I may do another batch of turnovers, too. The apple galette I made with the portion of the apple pie filling that I didn't use up on the turnovers was a big hit, I might do that instead of a double-crust pie again.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I made two loaves of pumpernickel, with "the works": caraway seeds, black and yellow mustard seeds, dill seeds, dried onion.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

My wife wants to know when I'm going to make croissant dough again, she really liked the chocolatines I made.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I made KABC's Butterscotch Apple Sweet Rolls this morning. They are very good, but will be better next time. I cut back on the brown sugar in the filling as comments posted by others said they were "too messy" and the filling kept falling out as they rolled up the dough. Next time I will use the full amount, although I may find the best amount might be somewhat less than that. The flavor is excellent, in spite of needing more "gooeyness".

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I find if you make a compound butter with the sugar (brown or white) and cinnamon, it is easier to spread on evenly and won't fall out as you roll the dough up and bake it.

I saw a post on my iPhone the other day that started out extolling the dental floss method for cutting cinnamon rolls but then suggested cutting the dough up into strips after spreading on the filling, then rolling each one up separately. I've done that a few times, it works well.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Mike, the filling for these rolls is made differently. The apples are peeled and chopped, then cooked on low in a skillet with butter a few minutes. Then brown sugar, cinnamon and Clear Jel are added, and cooked a bit more. This is what makes the "butterscotch" filling.

I just use a serrated knife to cut the dough, and it works fine if I go slowly and carefully to cut and handle the slices. I've tried the dental floss, bench knife, and individual strips - any of those methods also work fine with care.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.