What are you Baking the Week of October 22, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 22, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I will need to make semolina bread soon.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made 2 loaves of semolina bread tonight. Had some while it was still warm with a little apple butter on it, very good. Just enough spice to linger on the palate a while.

BakerAunt
        Participant

For breakfast on Thursday, I baked Oatmeal Pear Cardamom Muffins. I used Halloween muffin cups, so I made the recipe as twelve small muffins. The recipe is from Marisa Moore RDA on her website. I make minor changes by using buttermilk and adjusting the baking soda, adding milk powder, and adding some walnuts. I also use canola oil rather than olive oil.

On Thursday afternoon, I baked a double recipe of Big Lake Judy's Best Ever Molasses Cookies. I heeded Mike's advice and reduced the baking time for each successive baking sheet, and I did not have any that were overdone. My husband enjoys these cookies with tea in the afternoon, and I want to send some home with my elder bonus son who leaves on Saturday, so a double recipe was needed.

I'm going to have to try making apple butter this year.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I made a big batch of apple pie filling today, so of course I had to make a pie to test it out! (I had made enough pie dough for 2 double-crust pies the other day.)

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I think I posted the link to the apple butter recipe I used. It was fairly easy to make, since we have a 6 quart slow cooker, but I did wind up tinkering with the spice blend to get it to the point where we liked it. (It's still less spicy than the commercial apple butters my wife buys, which are too spiced up for me, usually too much clove, I think.)

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Mmmm, apple pie for breakfast!

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Today is my nieces Birthday and I baked her favorite Cherry Pie ,just waiting on it to cool.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Today I made maple cornbread, using both maple sugar and maple syrup. I don't have a recipe for this, I just put in a scoop or two of sugar and a pour of the syrup, so it comes out different each time. This time it was little crumbly, but tasty.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Friday evening, I made the dough for Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls, a King Arthur recipe, shaped the rolls, and refrigerated them overnight. I will bake them for breakfast tomorrow morning. I follow the recipe except for substituting in 2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour and adding 2 Tbs. flax meal. I used the bread machine to do the kneading and just had to add an additional teaspoon of water.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I made 2 loaves of semolina rye bread today. I ran out of both semolina and pumpernickel so had to make a quick run to the KAF store! I ran into my sister buying scone mix and pancake mix!

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I baked that batch of Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls on Saturday morning. The cinnamon sugar mixture stays put much better in these rolls than in my usual cinnamon rolls. I think that is because it uses white sugar rather than light brown, and there are also more layers, so the cinnamon filling is not as thick in each layer but more spread out. My husband likes the interior of the rolls, but he finds the slightly harder outsides (next to the ceramic dish in which I bake them) less to his liking than the outer part on my usual recipe.

At lunch, today, my husband showed me that we were almost out of bread, so in the afternoon, I baked three loaves of my adaptation of Grandma A's Ranch Hand Bread, which is one of my favorite recipes.

Chocomouse--You are fortunate that you can grab the flour so easily when you run out!

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made a batch of burger/sandwich buns this afternoon.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

My niece's daughter called her yesterday to wish her Happy Birthday and before she hung up she asked me if I'd bake her my coconut custard pie so I took 2 pie crusts from the freezer and made 2 pies, one for my niece and one for her daughter.They turned out very good looking.My niece is always wanting me to make her pies so tonight I got them all measured out but told her how to do them.She was happy to learn even though she is 64 years old.I know she'll never make a pie crust but maybe she'll bake her next pie... crossing my fingers.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Joan--You never know. At some point the yearning for a coconut pie may overwhelm her, and she will bake one! I still recall when my younger bonus son called me for the crumb-topped apple pie recipe. He did use a purchased crust, but he made the filling himself and took it to a group Thanksgiving dinner.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I was terrible at pie crusts before going to pastry school at SFBI. I thought our instructor was going to despair of my ever making an acceptable pie crust in class, but I kept making them at home afterwards and it took me about more 2 tries to get the process mastered. Now I'll stack my all-butter pie crusts against any bakery in town.

I still can't make a decent ruffled edge, though, I think my fingers are too big.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.