What are you Baking the Week of October 20, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 20, 2024?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm planning to try making a keto-friendlier apple pie today or tomorrow.

I ordered a 'pie bag' from King Arthur, it's supposed to make it easier to roll out pie dough, but I'm also hoping it will work for pizza dough. It's due some time today but if it isn't here by 3PM I will probably defer the pie until tomorrow.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The cinnamon stick for the stem is cute, but probably more decorative than flavorful.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I made cornmeal pancakes for breakfast on Sunday, using Bob's Red Mill coarse grind cornmeal and white whole wheat flour. The recipe came from a package of the BRM coarse cornmeal--back before they were so focused on gluten-free. I make half a recipe, which is just right for the two of us.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I have the lower-carb apple pie in the oven, it'll be a while before it's done and cool enough to taste.

It's out and it looks like an apple pie:

IMG_1098

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The apple pie is pretty good, I used the all-butter crust recipe I usually use, but with Carbalose instead of pastry flour. I did have to add a bit more water to get it to form a dough, that's typical with Carbalose products. Could have used a little more cinnamon, but that's always subjective. (And Diane almost always thinks a recipe needs more cinnamon.)

This year's Winesap apples are a bit more tart than the ones I got (at a different orchard) last year, I noticed that when I was peeling them, and I also didn't adjust the recipe for the difference in sweetness between sucrose and allulose (about 70% as sweet), but sometimes that recipe is almost too sweet.

The Carbalose crust was reasonably flaky, perhaps a bit more assertive in taste than pastry flour, but it definitely tastes like an apple pie.

Instead of an egg wash, I used cream, with just a little sparkling sugar (adding less than 1 carb per slice). I took it out of the oven a few minutes early because the outer edges were getting dark but the crust seems fully baked.

I used my new pastry rolling bag from King Arthur, it seemed to help keep the crust from fracturing. Now I need to test it on pizza dough.

cwcdesign
                Participant

I made the pumpkin chocolate chip bread from KABC. It turns out you can follow their directions for reducing the purée and over reduce it - fortunately someone else had had the same issue and was told to add water back to total the weight of the purée you are supposed to have - At least now I know the consistency for next time. I did use 1 cup of AP and 3/4 cup WWW. We liked the flavor, it wasn't too sweet, and I might have been able to reduce the baking time a couple of minutes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.