What are you Baking the Week of October 17, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 17, 2021?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Friday, I baked my adaptation of Skeptic’s Pumpkin Biscotti. (Adaptation consists of using white whole wheat flour, reducing the sugar to 2/3 cup, cutting the cloves to 1/8 tsp., and adding 3 Tbs. milk powder.) I am grateful to Skeptic every time I bake this recipe, which is frequently.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made a sponge for the Altamura bread, which I will let sit overnight. I'll mix the final dough tomorrow morning and bake it in the afternoon.

KathyD
        Participant

I just mixed up Mokonuts’ Rye-Cranberry Chocolate Chunk Cookies. They are scooped and in the fridge overnight for their rest. Can’t wait to bake them up.

chocomouse
          Participant

KathyD, the carrot cake is excellent! It's a bit dry, but not at all oily or greasy, as it often is. I think subbing apple sauce for some of the oil eliminated any excess. I haven't had carrot cake for two years, and it is one of my favorite sweets.

Italiancook
            Participant

I baked banana spice bread today. I used my grandmother's banana bread recipe and added 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon allspice.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The Altamura-style bread is out, it had nice oven spring. I'm letting it cool a bit before slicing, then I'll post some pictures and comments on the recipe I used.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Here's the finished loaf of Altamura-style bread (100% semolina sourdough):

altamura-bread

The oven spring was very good, the finished loaf is a little over 8 inches long, about 5 1/2 inches wide and over 3 1/2 inches high.

I wound up re-shaping it after it had risen for about an hour because it was flattening out too much, so I did a couple stretch and folds to tighten up the loaf and reshaped it back into a football shape. It still flattened out a bit with another hour of final proofing but the oven spring rounded it out very nicely.

Here's a slice:

altamura-slice

The bread has a nice open crumb and is quite chewy, like one would expect from a sourdough bread, but it does not have much of a sour taste.

The taste is quite a bit different from the semolina bread I've been making using Hamelman's recipe.

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Bread looks nice Mike!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

That bread looks wonderful, Mike.

I pulled out my Nordic Ware Autumn Wreath pan on Saturday evening and baked my adaptation of the Pumpkin Chocolate Harvest Cake recipe that came with the pan. I substitute in some whole wheat pastry flour, use my homemade pumpkin puree, replace 2/3 cup butter with ½ cup oil, delete the water, add some milk powder, use 2 whole eggs, and cut the salt in half. I also use a mixing method that works better for oil cakes. I baked in the evening so that there would be no temptation to slice it until tomorrow, and the flavors have time to meld.

KathyD
                      Participant

Mike, your bread looks so good. I bet it will make great toast. I’ve been looking at Jeffrey Hamelman’s revised bread book. I’ve added it to my list. You can rent it on Amazon for $29.95 for something like 3 months. I think I’ll check the library and see if they have a copy.
                        My Mokonut Rye Chocolate Chunk cookies turned out good with a great rye flavor. I also made Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies along with a Miso Maple loaf. I have Peter Reinhart’s Bagels in the fridge for their overnight rest.

Italiancook
                        Participant

Your bread looks delicious, Mike! It's helpful when you post the measurements. Thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.