What are you Baking the Week of November 7, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 7, 2021?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Len--Did you also use the ATK method of partially pre-cooking the filling? That way the pie is not in as long. Warm filling also means the center cooks evenly. The shorter amount of time means less time for the pre-baked crust edges to burn.

I adapted that technique for my Mom's pumpkin pie. I cook the filling ingredients--minus the eggs--until a low bubbling. I remove it from the heat, put some of the filling in a small dish, then whisk in the first egg. I whisk that into the rest of the filling, then whisk in each egg.

I have it on this site as "My Mom's and My Pumpkin Pie."

RiversideLen
      Participant

Mike, I did use a pie shield. But the crust spent a lot of time in the oven between the blind bake and once filled.

BA, no, I didn't pre-cook the filling. I'll have to give that a try, thanks for the info.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Glad to help, Len.

Today we drove to Doud County Line Orchard, for our annual apple purchases. We bought a half bushel of Ever Crisp, a peck of old-fashioned Winesaps, and a half bushel of seconds, which was a combination of Ida Red and Doud Greening. I will use the seconds for applesauce. The apples are now in our heated garage, where we keep the thermostat at 39F, although it is rarely that cold in there but still cool. Our area had its first snow this evening, although it is only sticking to rooftops wo far.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I think we're finally going to have a real frost here, the predicted low is down to 21 and the high for the day was maybe 40, with high winds and a wind chill well below freezing. We had a few snow flurries this morning.

I think some of the plants died last night or during the day due to the wind chill, the rest should be gone by morning.

But it was a pretty good garden season and I still have over 10 quarts of tomato juice and 4-5 quarts of tomato relish. The juice will probably be gone by Christmas, hopefully the relish will get us through to next spring, but it'll likely be late July before I'll have enough tomatoes to make more.

BakerAunt
            Participant

The only organic orchard in our area came to our Farmers' Market today. I bought a 3 lb. bag of Northern Spy, which I will use for pie, and a mixture of seconds. I plan to make my first batch of applesauce this afternoon, using those seconds and a few of the ones we bought yesterday.

I was also able to buy a beautiful cabbage and some green onion from them.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.