What are you Baking the Week of November 20, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 20, 2022?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've got pie crusts on my to-do list for tonight, 2 bottom crusts, 1 top crust and 1 blind-baked bottom crust that is chocolate pate sucree, for a chocolate cream pie. I'll make my sweet potato pie tomorrow and blind bake the pate sucree but make the chocolate cream pie filling on Thursday morning. This will also give me a set of crusts for an apple pie after our son and granddaughter get here for Christmas.

aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Thanks BA. I may try avocado oil instead of canola or vegetable. Canola has really fallen out of favor here. I still use it as my alternative to olive oil though.

I also have used some coconut oil but it has a definite coconut smell/taste. It's good if you're making something coconut flavored like buttercream but not sure I would want to use it in something more neutral like pie crust (unless I was making a coconut cream or maybe a key lime pie). I am going to use it next time I fry doughnuts I think.

My crusts are blind blaked. I reduced them temp from 375 to 350 and only baked them for 15 minutes. Violet and I will make the pies today - pumpkin and pecan - so the flavor should be set by tomorrow for dinner. Tomorrow we'll make the hazelnut chocolate tarte.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Pumpkin Maple Rolls, using Stella Parks' recipe for Yeasted Pumpkin Bread. I did not use a food processor. Instead, I made it in my bread machine and substituted in half white whole wheat and added 2 Tbs. special dry milk and 3 Tbs. flax meal.

I also baked my pumpkin pie on Wednesday evening. I made one change, since I use an oil crust and did the initial 10 minutes at 400F instead of 425F, before dropping the temperature to 350F for the remaining 10-15 minutes.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The chocolate cream pie, made with chocolate pate sucree and topped with meringue.

IMG_0361

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            chocomouse
            Participant

Yesterday I made two 7" cheesecakes. One regular cheesecake recipe (32 oz cream cheese, 4 eggs, etc) fits perfectly into them. I made one with a filling that was flavored with raspberry liqueur, a chocolate graham cracker crust, a layer of filling, a layer of individually frozen raspberries, a drizzle of chocolate ganache, another layer of filling, and topped with ganache. The other one I flavored with lemon and lime juice. One of these will go into the freezer for a future treat.

BakerAunt
              Participant

It is always nice to have an "emergency dessert" in the freezer, Chocolmouse!

I baked pumpkin snacking cake on Saturday evening. Earlier, I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. With guests this week, the last batch disappeared faster than usual.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.