What are you Baking the Week of May 2, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 2, 2021?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Where DID the month of April go to??

Spread the word
      Janiebakes
      Participant

I baked a batch of falafel. We can't eat deep fried food very often and these sounded like they would go well with a garden salad for dinner. Chickpeas, cumin, cardamom, salt, parsley, chickpea or oat flour and a bit of baking soda. Shape into patties, place on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes turning at the halfway point. They tasted fine but were by no means crispy.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Sunday, I baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers (nicknamed Baker Aunt's Crackers) from dough that I made last week. Instead of grapeseed oil, I used avocado oil to brush the dough. I also tried to hold back on the salt on top, since my husband asked me to do so and his blood pressure is higher than mine.

skeptic7
          Participant

I did Spinach pizza yesterday, and gingerbread a couple of days before. I want to do something different as opposed to being stuck in a rut. Has anyone made spice rye cookies from the KAF site? I never made rye cookies before.

Janiebakes
            Participant

Used rye flour years ago to make chocolate chip cookies when we were going hiking the next day and had run out of white flour. No one could tell it was rye. Most of us associate the flavor of the caraway seeds that are often in rye bread with "rye" flavor but they are very different. Those cookies you are planning on making sound delicious. Let us know how they turn out.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Skeptic--I baked them and liked them a lot. My husband considered them too spicy (!), but he has a sensitive gut. I will bake them again, as that will mean that I actually have cookies around to eat with my tea!

I used a Zeroll #40 scoop for the dough. I suggest dropping the ball into the granulated or sparkling sugar before putting it on the parchment.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Greek Yogurt Lemon Barley Cake in a Nordic Ware loaf pan that gives the imprint of citrus slices on top when the cake is turned out of its pan. I adapted this recipe that I found online by using nonfat Greek yogurt, adding 2 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill milk powder, and replacing a third of the AP flour with barley flour. At another internet site I found a recipe for a lemon juice-sugar syrup that I brush onto the warm cake. Like many oil cakes, it will be much more flavorful tomorrow, so it is for tomorrow night’s dessert.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I will be making another batch of Challah tomorrow, my plan is to do an 11-strand braid with most of the dough (a full batch makes about 1600 grams, the 11-strand takes 11 strands of 100 grams) and bake the rest in a small Pullman pan to see if it makes much difference in flavor when cut up for croutons.

My wife will be taking the 11-strand to her sister's on Sunday, and splitting it with her, so we'll probably get half of it back.

I think last week's batch was not hydrated enough, and that made the strands harder to roll out, so I'll be making this batch with a bit more water.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Yesterday I baked a carrot cake, with pineapple and walnuts, and a cream cheese frosting. I use a recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction, but substituted apple sauce for 1/2 cup of the oil. It is very good. I need to stop telling myself that because of the fruit, vegetables, and nuts it is a health food.

Italiancook
                      Participant

BakerAunt, I've seen the citrus pan online -- maybe KABC?. It's one I've considered buying. My bunny pan has arrived. We quarantine packages for a week or two before opening. So I can't comment on what it looks like. After the busy-ness of the next three weeks is over, I'm going to use my grandmother's chocolate cake recipe to make bunnies.

Today or tomorrow morning, I'm going to bake blueberry muffins.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Adding more water made the dough much easier to roll out. I made an 11-strand braided challah and baked the rest in a 4x4x13 Pullman pan. I made two batches of dough, each using 650 grams of flour and around 330 grams of water. (Batches that use 1000 grams of flour are almost too much for my mixer.)

I also made some 'forgotten' chocolate meringue cookies. I baked these about 3 minutes longer than the last batch, which were definitely a bit underdone in the center, these might be just a tad too baked in the middle, but they're still tasty.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

That's a lot of baking, Mike.

On Saturday, I baked Malted Whole Grain Rolls, a recipe from KABC (back when it was KAF) that uses the malted wheat flakes they sell. My changes were to cut the salt from 1 ½ tsp. to 1 tsp., substitute 1 cup buttermilk for that much water, and delete the wholegrain improver. kI use ¼ tsp. honey to proof the yeast. I baked it in a “tear and share” ceramic baker that KAF was selling at the time, and for which they developed the recipe, since the dish came from Mason and Cash, so it had British recipes on the box. It makes rather large buns, and sometimes I bake the dough as a 9x9 ceramic dish and make twelve rather than seven rolls. I baked them to go with the soup.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.