What are you Baking the Week of March 31, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of March 31, 2024?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Happy Easter, anybody doing any baking today?

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Not for me, but Will started his batch of sourdough bread today.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Tuesday, I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese crackers.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Wednesday, I used the last five Winesap apples to bake Sugar Coated Apple Cobbler, a recipe that I adapted from King Arthur. I cut the sugar by more than a third, use white whole wheat flour, add some milk powder, and cut the vanilla by half.

I also baked three loaves of my Whole Wheat Oat Bran Bread, a recipe that I altered considerably from the Oat Bran Bread recipe in Peter Reingart's Brother Juniper's Bread Book. It has become my husband's favorite, perhaps more so than the Grape Nuts Bread.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I'm making another batch of keto friendly buns, tweaking the recipe some. (I left out the flax, replacing it with other things, to see if that's where one of the dominant flavors came from in the last batch.)

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Today I made a loaf (8.5 x 4.5) of keto-friendly bread, I haven't tried it yet but at least it came out looking like a loaf of bread. The aroma isn't very enticing, though, so I'm not sure how flavorful it will be, maybe toasting it (as the recipe suggests) will improve the aroma.

It looks like a one ounce portion has under 5 carbs.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The keto bread is kind of bland, not bad tasting, just not much taste at all. It'll make an OK platform for other things, I suspect. (I had an open face peanut butter sandwich on a piece of it that I toasted.) But I think I'll try some other ideas before I make this again.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Mike--it is sometimes hard to get acceptable substitutes when dietary requirements change. That is what I was working on with today's second bake.

On Friday morning, I baked the Blood Orange Yogurt Loaf again, but this time I use my 6-cup Bundt pan, which worked perfectly. I cut the baking time to 40 minutes, which is when my Thermapen said it was at 200 F. I will allow the cake to rest overnight, and I will add the Blood Orange glaze tomorrow. I typed up the recipe for myself with my changes. I call my rendition Blood Orange Barley Yogurt Cake.

In the afternoon, I embarked on a project to bake an oil version of the Soft Barley Cookies in the King Arthur Whole Grains Baking Book. I used 1/3 cup avocado oil in place of the ½ cup of butter. I replaced the 1/3 cup of sour cream with non-fat Chobani yogurt, and I added 1 Tbs. milk powder. The recipe says to refrigerate the dough overnight. I gave it seven hours and baked them this evening. While the butter recipe bakes at 450 F, I lowered the temperature to 425 F for the oil cookies. The dough was about the texture I recall from when I last baked these about seven years ago. The baked cookies look good, but they do not have the smooth texture of the butter cookies. Instead, they are crinkled. We will try them out at tea tomorrow. The barley cookies were one of Scott's favorites, so I hope that my reduced fat version will hit the mark.

Note: The taste, and the texture, are close to the butter version. I may try baking them at the higher temperature given in the original recipe next time, as they could be a bit less soft. I might also consider reducing the oil slightly. However, Scott is happy with them, as am I.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Saturday, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Crackers from the dough I made earlier this week. I also made a thick glaze for the little Blood Orange Barley Bundt Cake.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

https://12tomatoes.com/cream-cheese-cake/
                        Cream Cheese Cake
                        12TOMATOES
                        The link above is for a cake I baked yesterday and it was very good. The recipe has cream cheese in it and I baked it in a 9x13 pan and used it to make 2 trifle desserts to take to friends. I had to bake longer than it said by like 20 more minutes but the cake is really good and like a pound cake. I layered cake cubes in the bottom topped with vanilla pudding mixed with some cool whip, then another layer of cake and strawberries the kind that sugar is added in the frozen section I added them to a pot with 1/2 cup of water and some strawberry jam and brought to boil and thickened with some cornstarch it made a nice jel then topped that with a layer of cool whip. This made a great dessert and a very pretty trifle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.