What are you Baking the Week of March 13, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of March 13, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I hope people remembered to set their clocks ahead if they live in a place where daylight savings time is observed.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I hate early Daylight Savings Time, especially on the western edge of the eastern time zone.

To soften the impact of the time change, I made Cornmeal-Pumpernickel Waffles for a late breakfast and froze six individual waffles for fast future breakfasts. The waffles are also an early birthday goody for my husband who has a birthday this week. Our dog thinks waffles are a treat for her. She was on alert in the kitchen as soon as I plugged in the waffle maker to heat.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

There are the usual flurry of news stories about why daylight savings time is good, why it is bad, why it should go away completely, why it should be permanent all year, etc. The Pandemic and working from home features in this year's crop of articles.

States can opt out of Daylight Savings Time completely, but Congress has to act to allow states to implement it 12 months a year.

The one thing I'm pretty sure of is that Congress won't do a doggoned thing about it, because Congress seldom does ANYTHING except spend money they don't have. The Wall Street Journal had a short list of earmarks in the latest budget bill (2700+ pages long with more earmarks than anyone can count, Senate Leader Chuck Schumer put in 140 of them), among my favorite is $3 million for a museum in Houston TX devoted to Mahatma Gandhi.

BakerAunt
          Participant

The length of DST is the problem. The sun rose this morning at 8:10 on this funky time, which throws us back to where we were in December. Kids are now going to school in the dark. Their parents are driving to work in the dark. For rural areas, it is particularly a problem.

I've noted that the east coast congressional people are the ones in favor of year-round DST because it benefits their constituencies. The outdoor industry sees it as more time for recreation after work, and they see dollar signs.

I would not mind a shorter period of DST, if people want it. We once had a shorter period before they messed with it in the name of "energy" savings.

In the past, our county stayed on standard time year around--until a governor and legislature forbade it, even though our state has some counties on EST and some, like the next county to our west, are on CST. If they give us year around DST, then I want to be on CST.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

People at the western end of a time zone, like folks in eastern Indiana and central Nebraska, are less likely to be excited about full-time DST, because the sun rises a lot later than it does for those further east.

However, I suspect the major population center, like NYC, Chicago, Denver and LA are all in the eastern half of their time zones.

Italiancook
              Participant

I just want Congress or my State to settle on something -- anything -- so the time doesn't change twice a year.

I have a question: I want to make a loaf of Soda Bread for the freezer. The recipe says not to cut until the next day. I've made this before, so I know that enhances the flavor. Since it's going into the freezer, should I freeze the day made or wait until the next day?

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'd let it dry out for a day before freezing it.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

What is driving me nuts is all these people who say they are getting an extra hour of daylight. NO they are not - the amount of sunlight is exactly the same. It is just that it is more at the end of the day than the beginning because of an artificial clock.

Also, these same people would be mighty upset when the sun rises at 8:30 in the middle of January because we stayed on DST.

When I worked for the magazine, our sales manager from the West Coast did morning change his watch when he came East for meetings. He found it easier to adjust if he got up 3 hours early for meetings - it is all just perception.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We spent a night in Danville IL once, they're on the eastern edge of the central time zone. Our iPhones kept switching between central time and eastern time. I don't know how locals cope with it.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

We should have had a Daylight Savings Time thread!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

More of that going on than baking, it seems. 🙂

I made a chocolate chess pie today, smells great and seems to have set up well, it needs to cool before we can cut it, though.

FWIW, the Nebraska Legislature voted 40-3 today to advance a bill that would put Nebraska (both time zones) on daylight savings time 12 months a year. That requires Congressional approval and also requires that several border states also change. (Wyoming has passed a similar bill, the other bordering states have not yet done so.)

cwcdesign
                          Participant

I did bake Chocolate Eclipse yesterday. We have plenty of leftovers. It was one of the best I’ve made in a long time.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Monday, I baked Blackberry Oatmeal bars, using the recipe at Nebraska Kitchen for Apricot Oatmeal Bars. It is always delightful to have a taste of summer when still in the grip of winter. This is seedless blackberry jam that I made from our bushes.

I also baked the Maple Buttermilk Bread that Chocomouse and I enjoy so much. I have found that using 4 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups bread flour is just right. I also add 2 Tbs. of flax meal, halve the salt and reduce the yeast to 1 3/4 tsp. Instead of 3 Tbs. butter, I used 2 Tbs. avocado oil. I baked it as two 8x4 loaves, which works better for us. The bread always has lovely oven spring.

aaronatthedoublef
                              Participant

I made BA's crackers for the first time in ages! Too thick and a little overdone. Need to get my touch back.

Not sure what else I will bake this week.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I need to make semolina bread today or tomorrow, I got the last chunk out of the freezer last night.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.