What are you Baking the Week of June 9, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of June 9, 2024?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Chocomouse that is a very old Tupperware , I still have lots and use them all the time and I use them like you do too.

Good idea BakerAunt to write which bowl to use.

Thanks y'all.

BakerAunt
      Participant

We were out of cookies and granola, so on Friday morning, I baked my adaptation of Peanut Butter Honeys, a recipe that Mumpy posted on the Baking Circle. I use white whole wheat, peanut butter without additives, and add 2 Tbs. powdered milk and 2 tsp. flax meal. I replace 4 Tbs. of butter with 3 Tbs. avocado oil. The recipe makes 23, and I can bake all of them on my large sheet pan. I find that 9 minutes is sufficient baking time (turning halfway). These are a cookie that you do not want to overbake, as the honey will have an off taste. I used honey from a favorite farmers market vendor.

While the cookies were baking, and the oven temperature cooling afterwards, I mixed up the granola, which bakes for two hours. Predictions are for very hot weather next week, so I am trying to plan ahead on my baking.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm making a batch of keto hot dog buns tonight (under 8 carbs each) using vital wheat gluten, oat fiber and whey protein isolate. I left out the flaxseed flour, which did poorly in my flours test a few weeks ago.

Italiancook
          Participant

I realize I'm several weeks late reporting this, but I've been in the throes of packing china for a niece . . . and recovering from it. I had said I'd experiment with baked chocolate chip pancakes. I did that this morning.

I doubled my regular pancake recipe & cooked in a half-sheet pan. I didn't bake them at 425* for 20 minutes as I've done in the past. I baked at 375* for 24 minutes. I think 24 minutes is too long, because the pancakes had cracks at 20 minutes. But they weren't brown on top. I checked them again at 22 minutes & there was some browning at the thinner end. I didn't want them as brown as at 425*, but I wanted some browning. I had that at 24 minutes. Next time I'll use 375* for 23 minutes. I think that'll be perfect.

I also think that 375* is the perfect temp for my recipe. I am pleased with the way today's pancakes interacted with the syrup. I think that's because they weren't solid brown on top. In addition, I baked them on parchment for the first time. I'm probably all washed-up on this, but I think that the parchment played a part in these pancakes being better. I think the parchment served as a buffer from the heat of the metal pan.

My recipe is for a dense pancake, not fluffy. I prefer dense pancakes. I switched to KAF for it today and am pleased with the thickness of the thinner end. Other flours have left the thinner end too thin for pleasurable eating. What I really need to do is try tripling the recipe to completely fill the half-sheet pan.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

My Carrot cake was good at the poker game and my brother in law wanted one so I baked one today that I'll be taking to Monticello ,Fla. tomorrow visiting with my niece/ sister .I'm tired of baking Carrot cake now 🙂 but I didn't throw flour all over the kitchen today!

chocomouse
              Participant

It's OK to be tired of making carrot cake - but I'd never be tired of eating it! Today I made a sheet cake from a box mix -- sad looking thing compared to one made from scratch. However, I needed to take some short-cuts. Tomorrow I'll cut it into chunks and make a berry trifle with lemon pudding, Cool Whip, raspberry cordial, and strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I tried another formula for texas chocolate sheet cake, and it had issues. The cake rose too much, then collapsed in the center. The frosting is too liquid, probably too much buttermilk.

I stuck it in the fridge overnight, we'll see if it is even edible tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

This Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake was weird, the texture of the cake was more like seitan (which is also made from wheat gluten), very chewy, and the frosting is best eaten with a spoon.

The flavors were better, so next time I'll go back to the flourless cake recipe I used the last time around but stick with regular cocoa, not the Dutch stuff, which was bitter. Making cooked sugars with allulose seem to be a bit of a challenge, it doesn't behave like either sucrose or glucose for how it cooks, so I need to work on the frosting. (Powdered allulose is even more expensive than granulated alluolose, though, so experimenting with it will be limited.)

BakerAunt
                    Participant

posted in wrong section so moved to correct one

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.