What are you Baking the week of June 23, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of June 23, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Doing any baking?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday afternoon, I mixed up the dough for a double batch of my low-saturated fat, whole wheat sourdough cheese crackers. I’ll bake them in a few days—maybe using my new range, which is to be installed tomorrow! 🙂

chocomouse
        Participant

Perfect recipe to celebrate your new range!!

Joan Simpson
          Participant

BakerAunt I know you are so happy to be able to use your new kitchen!

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

I made more whoopie pies, pizzas, and scones.

This time I added a little espresso powder to the whoopie pie cakes. Not sure if it made a difference. I think I need to make two batches at the same time and test them head-to-head.

This is my first pizza dough since running out of Bob's Red Mill cake flour. I need to make some adjustments. I'm off to the wholesale store today to see what kind of cake flour they have. Maybe I can buy the Queen!

skeptic7
              Participant

I did a whole wheat cheese pizza with 3-4 tablespoons of pizza sauce. I like left over pizza for lunch on these hot days.

skeptic7
                Participant

I did chocolate whole wheat scones, for a loose variety of scones. Its a mildly sweet quick bread in a cast iron frying pan.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Tuesday, I again baked that apple-oil Bundt cake recipe that I printed from the old Zester website, and that Rottiedogs was able to find on the internet for us. [See May 26, 2019 "What are You Baking thread.] This time, I again cut the sugar to 1 ¾ cups. I substituted in ¾ cup barley flour for that much AP flour; I used ¼ cup olive oil, ¼ cup canola oil, and ¼ cup buttermilk for the oil amount. I added 2 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill powdered milk and 2 Tbs. flax meal. I probably used close to 4 cups of grated apples. (I had 5 Jonathans left in the refrigerator to use.). The recipe makes 9-10 cups batter, so this time, I baked it in my Bundt “quartet” pan, for four cakes that serve four people each. I baked them for 45 minutes, then let them sit for about 13 minutes before turning them out on a rack to cool. I later froze two of them, since the weather is warm. We had half of one tonight with low-fat frozen vanilla yogurt. Ah, heaven.

This recipe would work well in a 10=cup Bundt pan as well; it would need to bake longer in the larger pan.

I did not bake this recipe in my new range, because it has not been installed yet. The hood must be done first, and we are awaiting the arrival of the outside vent, which had to be ordered from California. It should arrive by Friday, then I have to get the stove installation guys back.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                    chocomouse
                    Participant

I made two loaves of our usual sandwich bread, using oatmeal, AP, and whole wheat flour, plus 2 tablespoons of flax meal. I need to take a lesson from Baker Aunt and start adding a couple of tablespoons of dry milk to my loaves, also.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I made 4 loaves of the NewFoundland Molasses Raisin Bread to take to my sisters tomorrow,they turned out nice.

Italiancook
                        Participant

I hope you and your sister have a wonderful time together, Joan. We'll look forward to hearing from you when you can post.

Italiancook
                          Participant

I just baked KAF Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. I used 2 cups of brown sugar (Splenda) and deleted the additional 2 tablespoons. I used 1 cup Ghiradelli Caramel chips with nuts and chocolate chips. I made this once before and forgot to put any notes on the recipe. I don't really recall whether I like these, but since I've been craving chocolate lately, I thought I'd retry it and make sure I put on notes this time. It'll be awhile before we can cut into them. Recipe says to cool "overnight."

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Italiancook.
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

I baked my version of Ellen’s Buns on Friday afternoon. I made twelve buns. We will start using them tonight for pork tenderloin sandwiches.

skeptic7
                              Participant

I did more cheese pizza and some banana granola.

I think the banana bread recipe was recommended on one of the Threads a while back. I wanted to make something different and that used maple syrup. I think my previous granola batches used honey. I used pecans and sunflower seeds and threw in some sesame seeds. I don't think the sesame seeds were a good idea because they didn't stick to the bigger items but fell out. I was noticing that some recipes call for oil and others don't. DOes oil make it taste better?

Lets try this again. I was trying the banana bread granola recipe.
                                Banana bread granola

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by skeptic7.
                                • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by skeptic7.
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I use butter for banana bread/muffins, I think it gives a better mouth feel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.