What are you Baking the week of June 23, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of June 23, 2019?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

I am using oil for all my quick bread recipes, and butter for most of my yeast breads. It is easier to mix in oil with the liquids on quick bread, and butter is easier to knead into yeast breads. There are exceptions. My pizza/focaccia recipe calls for oil as does the challah recipes.

BakerAunt
      Participant

The banana granola recipe does look interesting, although I would use canola oil for the coconut oil.

I like the maple granola recipe that KAF has on its site. It's an updated version of the one in the wholegrain cookbook, and it uses less canola oil and adds powdered milk. I made it a few weeks ago, and my husband was grabbing it for snacks, so I now need to make it again when the weather cools down a bit. I reduce most oil in my granola recipes.

I've banned most butter from my baking in my quest to lower my cholesterol. I've had good results with substituting some canola oil or olive oil. The olive oil gives a richer flavor and was lovely with apples. Cass tells me that oranges work well with it as well. Not all recipes can be adjusted with oils instead of butter, which is why I have not had scones for the past 10 months (SOB), and why I have baked very few drop cookies. The positive side is that I lost 13 pounds over the past year and can fit into clothes I'd though I'd have to give away.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.