What are you Baking the Week of July 31, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 31, 2022?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My, the end of July presages the end of summer, even though we've got an other two weeks of 90+ highs coming, and not much rain. Not sure how bad this latest heat wave will be, some days there are multiple 100+ days predicted, today just one.

Probably won't bake much this week.

The papers are full of details about schools getting ready to open up. My wife has summers off but has to be back to work on the 15th.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Our weather is warming up as well. On Sunday, I baked submarine rolls using the recipe that came with a specialty King Arthur perforated pan with spaces for five. I have used this recipe before and adapted it. I now use 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup medium rye to replace some of the flour. I replace 1/2 cup of the water with buttermilk and replace the tablespoon of sugar with a tablespoon of honey. I reduced the salt by a third. The recipe was always tricky, in that it seems to have too much liquid. I ended up adding over a cup of additional flour, and even then, it was a slack dough. Both rises were also exceptionally fast, probably due to the warm weather. However, the dough did bake up into five lovely 12-inch rolls.

I also baked the Blueberry Greek Yogurt Cake Without Butter (recipe posted here at Nebraska Kitchen).

My college roommate and her husband (I was in their wedding party) are in the area and will be visiting us tomorrow. The sub rolls are for Turkey Bacon and Tomato Sandwiches for lunch. The cake is for dessert for either lunch or dinner, or perhaps both.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I am making a batch of rye/semolina/wheat sandwich buns today.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Tuesday. I will bake them either end of this week or start of next.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Major Revision Edit of this Post.

On Thursday, I baked four Blueberry Tartlets, using a half recipe of my Buttermilk-Oil Pie Crust (with half canola and half avocado oil), divided it into fourths, then rolled each into a slightly larger than 5-inch circle. I own a Chicago Metallic Tartlet pan, with removeable bottoms that holds four each. I fit the crusts into the four, then refrigerated for an hour. I blind baked (using beans in small coffee filters) at 425F for 8 minutes in my countertop convection oven.

I had planned to bake Blackberry and Blueberry Tartlets to use up the remaining 1/2 cup of seeded blackberries that I had left over from making jam, but I inadvertently grabbed the half cup of blueberry syrup that I was saving for cornmeal waffles and used that instead. It was just as well, since when I realized what I had done, I found the 1/2 cup of seeded blackberry puree had fermented and had to be thrown out.

It is hot and muggy today, so that will be all the baking I do.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I may make some cinnamon rolls this evening, as a thank-you present for my neighbor, who helped us cut a path to the air conditioner units outside Tuesday morning, cutting through about 10 feet of raspberry bramble.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

You're a good man Mike and I know your neighbors will appreciate the cinnamon rolls!

I got my last two pie crusts out of the freezer last night and defrosted them in the fridge and today I made an apple pie looks good but we won't cut it till tomorrow.I had bought some green apples from the vegetable stand down the road from us they had them reduced to 25 cents each I think I used about 6 or 7 for the pie.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Here's the rolls plus my take on penuche frosting (I added some Lyle's Golden Syrup):

rolls_peuche

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    BakerAunt
                    Participant

All this talk and baking of cinnamon rolls is making me want some....

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

My wife says the penuche frosting tastes a lot like a maple frosting, and she's right!

We both decided we don't really wanna know how many carbs are in a well-frosted roll.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

My apple pie was delicious and the crust was flaky and a nice golden brown on the top and bottom, I baked it in a deep dish tin foil pan.I am pleased.

Mike your cinnamon rolls look nice,I've never tried that frosting.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I've made penuche fudge before, but not as a frosting. (There's not a lot of difference between them, IMHO, the frosting might be just a bit softer but it hardens as it ages.)

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I baked a blueberry tart on Saturday in my countertop convection oven. I used a three-quarter recipe of my Buttermilk-Oil Crust. For the filling, I used the filling in Dorie Greenspan's Blueberry Galette recipe (from her online site). I replaced the grated zest of a lime, which I do not have, with grated zest of lemon, and I increased the cornstarch by half a teaspoon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.