What are you Baking the Week of July 14, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 14, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I plan to make some banana mini-muffins today to use up some overripe bananas. This won't be the keto-friendly recipe but they're so small each one is only about 8 carbs.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For Sunday breakfast, I made Cornmeal Pumpernickel Waffles, which we had with maple syrup. As our dog was traumatized by fireworks last night (someone in our area paid for a very expensive, 20-minute professional firework show), the waffles were a welcome soother this morning. Then we got a thunderstorm in the late morning. Sigh.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

After the first batch of banana muffins was in the oven, I realized I had only used a half cup of sugar instead of the whole cup. (This batch was not made using keto-friendly ingredients at my wife's request.) I added some sugar to the rest of the batter and got another 2+ trays of mini-muffins, 80 in all. The less-sweet ones are pretty good, I might just cut back on the sugar next time around, though that makes only 1 carb difference per muffin (7 carbs vs 8), the bananas and the flour contribute more carbs than the sugar.

kimbob
          Participant

Blueberry crumb cake. Made one for my neighbor then a couple days later couldn't resist making one for us. It didn't last long. Lol

BakerAunt
            Participant

I made a half recipe of Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins Monday, adding a few frozen blueberries to the 1/3 cup that came from our shrub. I used the little oven so as not to heat up the house.

It's good to hear from you, Kimbob.

kimbob
              Participant

Thanks. Things are settling down here finally. From the end of January to the end of May my husband wasn't home. He was in and out of the hospital 6 times and rehab. 1 step forward and 3 steps back. Now he's much better and PT is coming to the house twice a week so things are looking up.
                I read your husband had health problems. Glad he's recovered. We women have to be strong!

chocomouse
                Participant

I picked a quart and a half of blueberries this morning, for a total now of 5 quarts. I used one quart to make the Berries and Cream Cake. I got the recipe originally, back in 1986, from a recipe contest a local newspaper held every summer. King Arthur now has it posted on their website.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I made a batch of burger/sandwich buns.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Last year, I tried a Rye Blueberry Bar recipe from King Arthur. The filling was horrible, as it seemed to be lacking enough liquid, and the cornstarch formed horrible clumps, which did not make for great taste. I gave it a 3 out of 5 stars because I thought the recipe had possibilities but was not ready for prime time. My review was one of the first, so it can be found near the end of the reviews. I noted that another person also had problems with the cornstarch forming clumps. Many other people raved about it. My husband thought that they were not bad. I liked the crumb topping and bottom but vowed never to make that filling again.

On Thursday, I decided to try the recipe again, but this time using the blueberry chia seed jam that I made on Saturday. I made the same changes to the crust as last time in that I used white whole wheat flour in place of the AP flour, replaced the ½ tsp. cardamom with ¼ tsp. allspice, which is my usual spice for a blueberry pie. I replaced 10 Tbs. butter with 1/3 cup avocado oil plus 2 Tbs. water. This time I used old-fashioned rather than quick oats, as I am hoping it will keep the crust and topping firmer for longer. I deleted the 2 tsp. of vanilla, although last time I used 1 tsp. in the crust. (Indeed, one sign that the recipe needed work was the 2 tsp. of vanilla in the crust and the 1 tsp. in the filling. When all else fails, cover it up with vanilla!) I baked it in an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish.

We had some for dessert this evening, and we really like my version. It is just sweet enough but not overly sweet. I will definitely bake them again. They would likely work with a chia seed jam made from another kind of fruit, such as peaches or even with regular jam.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I made Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies for Poker tonight.A recipe I've made before.They are very good and crisp will be good for dunking.

IMG_1029

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

Your cookies look great, Joan! I'm sure that they will sweeten the pot for poker night!

On Friday, I addressed our lack of cookies and baked Big Lake Judy's Best Ever Molasses Cookies.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I've been making and freezing cookies for a couple of weeks now. I should have waited! Great idea to add coconut to the choc chip oatmeal cookies, Joan. And I do like BLJ's molasses cookie recipe. Hmmm. I've made Lemon, Chocolate with M & M's, and Maple. Next up is dough with Tang and candied orange peel.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I made a batch of peanut butter cookies using vital wheat gluten instead of flour and allulose instead of sugar, adding a tablespoon of molasses to give it a 'brown sugar' taste.

They got brown faster than the original recipe, I don't know if that's due to the allulose or the VWG, possibly both. I'll update this note when they're cool enough to test.

They're overbaked on the bottom, I should have taken them out sooner, but the bigger problem is that you can't taste the peanut butter--at all! This one was a failure, I don't know if increasing the peanut butter would improve them, but I'm not likely to try it again very soon. Might need something lighter than VWG, like maybe some bamboo fiber. I don't know if some whey isolate would help by adding lightness. Another possibility is that it may need the sweetness of sugar to bring out the peanut butter taste, and allulose is only 75% as sweet as sugar. (I used 1-1 in the recipe.)

kimbob
                              Participant

Just made some drop cornbread biscuits to go with the big pot of chili. Yeah, I know, it's 82 degrees outside but my husband requested chili. Thank God for AC.

kimbob
                                Participant

Cookies look good, Joan. I love a nice crisp cookie.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.