What are you Baking the Week of January 9, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 9, 2022?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Just made bread on Saturday so I don't know what baking I'll be doing soon.

I am thinking of doing a test on dough with cinnamon in it, to see how much it affects the yeast.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I made my usual sandwich buns.

chocomouse
        Participant

I just put a raspberry-cinnamon swirl coffeecake into the oven. For Christmas, I gave my husband a canning jar full (52+) slips of paper, each labeled with a baked "sweet treat". He is to pick one slip each week all year, so he picked the first time last night (we had to eat up all the holiday sweets plus his birthday cake first). What do you suppose he drew? Maple Walnut ice cream! At that time, the outdoor temperature was -5, and this morning it was -9. We agreed - put the slip back and draw another for this week. Thus, the coffee cake. Much more appropriate this time of year.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I realized yesterday that I had not baked at all this week, which is very unusual for me. My husband had the last of the bread at lunch, so on Thursday, I baked my adaptation of Pompanoosuc Porridge bread.

I had been waiting for a Bob's Red Mill order that included pastry flour. It arrived today, so I baked my pumpkin pie recipe, this time using the puree from the fairytale pumpkin. I also experimented with using the convection setting for pre-baking the crust and baking the pie. I used 400F rather than 425F for pre-baking the crust and only left it in ten minutes. I did my usual initial cooking of the filling on the stove top before whisking in the eggs and baking the pie. I did 400F for 10 minutes and then dropped the temperature to 350, then to 325F. I also grabbed a pie shield as the crust was getting slightly too dark. The pie looks good, although it has a slight place off center. I am looking forward to slicing it tomorrow. I would not usually have baked a pumpkin pie so soon after Christmas, but I wanted to see how the fairytale pumpkin would do. My husband is happy to help me with the experiment.

BakerAunt
            Participant

The pumpkin pie made from the fairytale pumpkin had a slightly looser texture rather than the creamy texture I get with the sugar pie pumpkins. As a result, it is lighter in the mouth when eaten. The fairytale pumpkin, or perhaps just this one, resulted it a sweeter pie. I could probably cut the sugar by 2 Tbs. next time. My husband and I each had a slice at lunch. We agreed that we like it, and we agreed that we like pies made from sugar pie pumpkins as well. I will be using both for pies in the future.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I am making bagels today, the plan is to make 6 normal bagels (around 3 ounces each) and 2 pizza cups (about 4.5 ounces each.)

My wife thawed out one of the tangzhong cinnamon rolls yesterday, it was still nice and soft. I definitely plan to make another batch of these, probably freezing most of them.

I've got some bananas that are past the best eating point, so some more banana nut muffins are coming, probably not for a day or two.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I had an advertisement in my email that said today is National Bagel Day, so Mike's baking is well timed.
                  I baked my whole wheat sourdough cheese crackers on Saturday.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

LaMars Donuts was doing a 'not a bagel Day' giveaway today, but it was too cold and snowy to go get a free donut.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.