What are you Baking the Week of January 28, 2024?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 28, 2024?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made peanut butter cookies today.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I just put 2 loaves of Vermont Whole Wheat Oatmeal Honey Bread (KAF) into the oven.

cwcdesign
        Participant

The beautiful wedding was on Saturday the 27th and the rains (heavy, typical kiwi rains) stopped around 2:00 -the wedding was at 3:00

The wedding cake was beautiful and delicious on Saturday, but by Sunday, even though it was well wrapped, it became dry. So, today we are making a trifle. We found out that you can only get Bird's (Byrd's?) custard in British specialty stores as it is way too expensive for regular use. The brand they use here is Edmonds so we're going to give it a try.

BTW it is Tuesday around 9:45 am here

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

When we make a trifle, we use Jello, Cool Whip and a double batch of my mother-in-law's pastry cream recipe.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I'm glad to hear that the beautiful wedding was blessed with clear skies, CWCdesign. Enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand!

Italiancook
              Participant

Happy Belated Birthday, BakerAunt. Your cake and meal sounded scrumptious.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Thank you, Italian Cook. BTW, I was finally able to order that neat little set of funnels you recommended from Vermont Country Store. My husband needed a new pair of gloves for fueling the wood stove, so I felt that with two items, the shipping was almost worth it.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Thursday, I baked a double recipe of my no-butter sugar cookies. I rolled the balls of dough in a combination of red and white sugars, since it is now the season for Valentines, although in the stores the season started before Christmas! Indeed, Easter is pushing much of the Valentines items to the side. In my house, holidays will be celebrated properly.

To go with stew for dinner, I baked cornbread, using two pans that have five hearts in a circle. I bought it from King Arthur years ago when they were still selling interesting baking items. I made the cornbread 75% whole grain by using a cup of medium grind cornmeal, a half cup of white whole wheat flour, and a half cup of AP flour.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Friday, I baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from dough I made last week. My husband finished his supply two days ago, so he is happy to have it replenished.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I'm glad you have the little funnels, BakerAunt. I share your frustration about the shipping being almost worth it.

My Emile Henry ciabatta-baker arrived. My husband was an immediate buzz-kill. "Where are you going to put it?" he asked when he saw the large cardboard box. After I thought for a moment I had to agree with him. Therefore, I haven't opened the packing box. I ponder it each day. I recruited a niece to inherit one of my china sets early, but it'll be summer before she can take them. When they're gone, I'll have room for my ciabatta-baker. Until then? I ponder the large cardboard box everyday!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

My wife starts asking that question any time I even THINK of buying something for the kitchen.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

My husband knows better than to ask that question. ๐Ÿ™‚

Italian Cook--The box is likely larger than the dish inside it. You may be able to store it quite nicely without the box.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I made cheesecake today. I used a regular sized recipe, but divided the batter in half for two 7" springform pans. They both had a chocolate graham cracker crust. One filling was vanilla swirled with frozen raspberries from last summer's crop. It's in the freezer for later, and I will put a chocolate ganache on it when we're ready to eat it. The other one is chocolate with chopped candied orange peel swirled into it. We've cut into it, and I didn't get much of an orange taste from the chunky little peels.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.