What are you Baking the Week of January 23, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 23, 2022?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made semolina bread yesterday, cut it into 6 parts for the freezer.

Italiancook
      Participant

Mike, it turns out that the term "fluffy" for the pizza is my husband's interpretation; it's not in the name. I watched the video, and in the first frame of the finished product, the broken crust does look fluffy.

It's an interesting pizza. It's 5 football-shaped individual cheese pizzas baked as one large flower with 5 petals. My husband wants me to bake this, so I will as soon as two of the cheeses go back in stock.

It's a Tutti a Tavola recipe called Soft Flour Pizza with 4 Cheeses -- on YouTube.

skeptic7
        Participant

Italian Cook could you give the link for the youtube Video please?

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Here it is:
            soft flower pizza

Aside from the five petal structure, I don't know that it is all that different from some other pizza dough recipes. (But I'm thin crust guy.)

Italiancook
            Participant

Thanks, Mike, for giving skeptic the link. I wouldn't have known how to do that. The written instructions for the pizza are available somewhere. My husband showed me, since he's lobbying for this pizza, but I don't know where he found them. Skeptic, if you want the written directions, let me know and I'll find out how you access them.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

If you click on the first 'tutti a tavola' comment just below the Youtube video, it has the recipe.

I suspect that if you could measure it, you'd find that over half of the dough is in the edges of those five petals. With nothing on top of it, it isn't surprising it rose well.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Last night I took a pie crust from freezer and made a fresh coconut cream pie the pie was good but my blind baking a crust not so much ,mine slid a little but the pie this morning was really good.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I've been reading Shirley Corriher's BakeWise this week, have you ever tried blind baking a crust upside down? It requires having two pans that are the same size. You put the crust in one pan, put the second pan on top, invert it and remove the first pan, which is now on top. This leaves the crust open to the air, but without a need for pie weights. About half way through the baking you reverse the process so the crust is back in the first pan right side up again.

skeptic7
                    Participant

Thanks for the pizza link. I like looking at that pizza but I don't think I would want to make it. Its for people who really love the edge part of the pizza crust.
                      I've tried baking a pie with two pie pans like that. It was hard to pick up the half cooked pie crust to flip it over and the inner pie pan was hard to remove. I'd like to try cooking bread dough that way to make a bread soup bowl, but that would require something a little deeper than a pie pan. Perhaps using large muffin tins?

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I've tried making bread bowls with Corelle soup bowls, they needed more height.

Yeasted bread dough, unlike a pie crust, tends to puff up a lot when baking. Sandwiching it between two bowls seemed to work a bit better but it was hard to tell when they were baked.

Some of my taller ramekins might work better, but they're pretty straight sided and they don't stack.

Depending on the recipe, making a boule to use as a soup bowl takes 6-12 ounces of dough, which is a lot of carbs.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Mike I've not tried the upside down baking of the crust,I'll keep that in mind next time.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.