What are you Baking the week of February 17, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of February 17, 2019?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a thread for this week's baking.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Today I'm baking a banana oat bran bread. I baked it last fall, with some adjustments to the original recipe. I'm making a couple of changes. If it comes out well, I'll post it. We are having snow again, so it is a good day to bake.

Note: The bread seems to me to need a little tweaking. It definitely is better the day after it is baked. I don't think the recipe is ready for prime time yet.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

On Monday, I baked a streusel apple pie using the first oil-based crust in the KAF Anniversary Cookbook. I used 1/3 white whole wheat flour this time, and as I’ve done before, I replaced the milk with buttermilk. I accidentally put in 1 ½ Tbs. sugar rather than 1 ½ tsp. I forgot that I prefer to put this pie in the deep-dish Emile Henry pie plate. By the time that I remembered, I’d already blind-baked the crust in my 9-inch metal one. I used small Winesap apples that have been keeping cool in our heated garage (temperature at 48F). The original recipe, from Bernard Clayton used 7 large Granny Smith apples, so I used 15 of the little Winesaps. (I intended to use 14 but realized an extra one needed to be used.) I pre-cooked the apple mixture in a skillet after allowing it to sit for 15 minutes. I piled it very high in the pan. I cut the streusel topping ingredients by 25%, except for the butter, which I cut from 1/3 cup to 4 Tbs. I initially baked at 425F for 15 minutes, then 375F for 30 minutes. The filling cooked down just a bit, but it did not run over. (Thank heavens for the drip rim on that metal pie pan.) It is now cooling. While it ought to wait until tomorrow to be sliced, having only finished baking at around 4:45, my husband is unlikely to be that patient.

BakerAunt
          Participant

The pie was delicious and held together surprisingly well although warm. It is worth seeking out those small (traditional) Winesaps if you can find them. I hope the orchard where we got them has another good year.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I fed my sourdough starter and used the 2 cups I removed to make the dough for my lower-saturated fat version of Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I’ll bake them later this week.

My sourdough starter was nice and strong on Tuesday morning, so I made my version of King Arthur’s Rustic Sourdough bread, and I made it in my Emile Henry long baker. My changes to the recipe are to use 2 cups Irish Wholemeal flour, ¾ cup dark rye flour, 2 Tbs. flax. Meal, and additional 2 Tbs. special dried milk, honey in place of sugar, salt reduced to 1 ¾ tsp., and 2 ½ cup KAF AP flour. I use my milk-based sourdough starter. I always begin with the wholegrains, mix them in, then let them sit for 20 minutes before proceeding. The bread baked very nicely. I’m still working out how to use the EH baker effectively. This time I baked for 15 min. at 425F, then reduced it to 400F for 10 minutes. I removed the cover, and let it go for 15 minutes longer, checking every 5 minutes, until the interior measured 198F. Other than a tiny bit of sinking in the center from when I slashed it before baking, it’s a lovely loaf. I look forward to cutting into it tomorrow and will post about taste and texture after doing so.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I made the 100% whole wheat bread that you do in the food processor again. I used a little less water this time, it still seemed a little slack after the bulk rise so I did a couple of stretch and folds before putting it in the 8" bread pan. The final rise took less than an hour. It did not collapse this time. I'm baking it for 48 rather than 45 minutes because it didn't seem quite done in the center last time.

I'll let you know how it came out after it is cool enough to slice but it smells great again.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I look forward to your report on the FP whole wheat bread, Mike.

The bread that I baked yesterday has great flavor--in my opinion. My husband claims the flavor is not as "robust" as my other breads, while I would say the opposite. It is not as heavy of a bread as some of my others, and I think he prefers the firmer texture, and perhaps the rolled grains.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

For a 100% whole wheat bread, it's a fairly open crumb. Here's a slice. (Keep in mind that this was made in an 8" loaf pan, not a one-pound pan):

Whole Wheat bread slice

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Your bread looks great, Mike!

On Thursday evening, I baked my Cinnamon-Apple Barley Bread. I’m satisfied with how I altered the recipe, which I now claim as mine and have written into my recipe book. I will post it here at Nebraska Kitchen.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Friday, I baked a new recipe, Honey, Halva and Cardamom Biscotti, which I had printed from a Tasting Table email. According to the article, the recipe is from Black Girl Baking, by Jerrelle Guy:

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/cardamom-honey-biscotti-halva-recipe

It is designed to be vegan, but I changed it by using ¼ cup buttermilk in place of the nut or grain milk. I also cut each log into 13 pieces (that is, ¾-inch or about 2 cm. wide), which gave me a total of 26 rather than 12. I do not plan to glaze them, which 1) seems to me to be a lot of work, and 2) calls for coconut butter, which is decidedly not for a low-saturated fat diet. The tahini in the coolies themselves, of course, is not without saturated fat, but the whole recipe has 16.5 g or so, and when cut into 26—and only one is eaten at a time—falls into my parameters. I will try them as a “breakfast cookie” to have with my coffee after my oatmeal.

Although the recipe says to allow them to cool, uncovered, at room temperature overnight, I have tasted a few of the crumbs, and I'm pleased with the flavor. My husband asked if he could have one with his afternoon snack, and I said yes. He liked the flavor, which is good, since he is NOT a cardamom fan.

I'll report again tomorrow after the flavors have further time to meld.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm making Vienna Bread today, plus another batch of custard.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

The Honey, Halva, and Cardamom Biscotti make a nice breakfast cookie with a cup of coffee (after steel-cut oats, of course). I think that the cardamom needs the coffee taste so as not to be overpowering. These biscotti are likely quite nice with the glaze, which would also play well off the cardamom. I did grind my own cardamom by hand, so it may be fresher than what is used in the recipe, and thus more potent. I may try this recipe with another spice or combination, but I'm not sure what would go well with the tahini--which is very much a background taste with the cardamom.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I fed my sourdough starter again this morning. I'm making my sourdough crust pizza for dinner tonight.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.