What are You Baking the Week of August 20, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 20, 2017?

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Italian Cook: Cass wanted me to post this information for you:

"Recently "Italian Lady" mentioned that she was having a problem with rolling out yeasted bread dough. It displayed a heavy resistance to her rolling pin.

That is the time to cover her dough & continue in about 10 / 15 minutes again. The dough must relax from the pounding. The gluten is in the process of developing. Another way to look at it is the "PROOFING" mode is doing it's thing.... & will not yield to her rolling pin.

It is ready for rolling out when a poke of her index finger into the dough about 1.5 deep begins to fill-in very slowly. It's time.

If it shows resistance to her poke then more time is required. Repeat every 10, minutes. If it doesn't fill-in then it is considered "OVER~PROOFED.

Anyway I hope all information will help her."

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by BakerAunt.
      • This reply was modified 7 years ago by BakerAunt.
      Italiancook
      Participant

BakerAunt, thanks for posting Cass's helpful information. Now I know what to do the next time I have dough that retracts when rolled. Thanks! Cass's info about testing for proofing made me curious: What do you do if you overproof dough? Do you have to punch it down, form it into a ball & restart the proofing process?

BakerAunt
        Participant

I've overproofed dough on a second rise. In that case, I punched it down, re-shaped it, let it rise again, and then baked the bread. I'm not sure about a first rise, but since it has to be punched down anyway, my thought would be to go ahead with the second rising. The only issue would be to make sure that the second rise did not overproof.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've totally forgotten about dough during first (bulk) rise more than once. Once I forgot about it for about 6 hours. I had to peel some of it off the plastic wrap over the bowl, but then I just punched it down, let it rise a bit more, then went on to shaping. Nobody noticed a thing.

I did a test once (using the Austrian malt bread recipe) where I let it rise for an hour, deflated it, let it rise for another hour, deflated it again, for a total of 4 bulk rises. It rose just fine after shaping and during baking.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.