What are you Baking the Week of August 15, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 15, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No plans here yet.

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

I don't know if this snack mix qualifies as baking but you do bake it. It's Dave Lebovitz's Spicy Pretzel and nut mix. It's crazy addicting. I don't use much of the cayenne pepper powder, infact I often substitute a milder powder. I make it at least every three weeks. I use salted pretzels and nuts so I don't add salt at the end.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Personally, I would consider making donuts baking even though they're usually fried.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I agree that baking need not be confined to the oven.

I had enough leftover strawberry-blackberry jam from Monday’s canning session that I decided to make the Oatmeal Jam bars of which we are so fond. I added a bit more jam from a jar in the refrigerator to make enough for the bars. Instead of the usual cranberry juice, I used 3 Tbs. strawberry juice. The frozen strawberries I used for the jam had no added sugar, but when thawed, there was about 1 ¾ cups juice, so I saved it either to drink or to use in baking.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I had one pie crust that had been in the freezer along time so I made a coconut pie and it turned out well.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I baked three loaves of my whole wheat, flax, and buttermilk version of Grandma A’s Ranch Hand Bread. I increased my whole wheat substitution by ½ cup, replacing that much bread flour. I do not add all the flour at once but hold back 3 ¾ cups and let the dough rest for 15 minutes before mixing in the rest and then the oil and kneading. I used about 2 However, the time was extended to nearly half an hour because I was distracted. I always hold back ¼ cup of AP flour until the end, and I only needed 2 Tbs. of it. The dough rose fast both times. I love the smell of this bread as it bakes. All three loaves look good.

The distraction was that the contractor working on our apt. remodel found a stash in the crawl space/attic of unused wall paper, all carefully wrapped in an Indianapolis newspaper from Sept. 8, 1971. We recognized, with a shudder, two patterns that we had seen on the walls of this house when the realtor first showed it to us. There was also a white and pink one that we did not recognize. However, there are some sheets of a white wallpaper that has a kind of kitchen design. We are considering putting it on one of the apt. kitchen walls that is mostly cabinet and very little wall. It is probably from the 1960s. We did not see it in this house, so it may be from a former owner's other house.

We also found some lovely pink tile of an unusual shape--very small and only one box. It is not something we can use, but maybe there is a craft use for it.

skeptic7
                Participant

I did the KAF Sourdough Rye desert Focaccio, and it turned out soft and gooey. I think I underbaked it. Its a very elaborate recipe with lots of wait time built in -- Make Levain and wait -- make dough and wait -- stretch and fold and wait and stretch and fold -- then let rise in peace for 4-5 hours, then form it into a cylinder and place on baking sheet and refrigerate overnight. It was soft and sticky and hard to handle but I think I manaaged that part. The difficulty came in finding enough room in the refrigerator for a half sheet tray. I didn't bake it long enough, but the plum topping probably didn't help as it added extra liquid to the dough.
                  I don't know if there will be a next time for this recipe, but I might just leave out the plums. It might be easier to bake with just almond honey topping. Or a half recipe in a large cast iron frying pan might cook better.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I have a Lodge cast iron pizza pan and love how pizza or focaccia dough bakes on it - crispy bottoms. I haven't tried any sweet focaccia, but have a recipe that calls for halved grapes on top, and I'm tempted to try that. Grapes might not be as juicy as plums.

skeptic7
                    Participant

After trying some rye yeast breads I finally read the sections on rye in King Arthur's Whole Grains, and Laurel's Kitchen bread book and realized some of the things I did wrong, and the reasons for the instructions in the desert focaccio. Most of the information explains why a sour starter is used in most rye breads, the acid contributes to the structure and reduces gumminess. A couple recipes I've used have had molasses as an ingredient. I am going to have to try the dessert focaccio again -- focaccio's are useful for bread experiments if they don't rise its easier to tell people that was planned. :).
                      Will adding lemon juice help with a rye bread? Will buttermilk? I need to find acid ingredients that don't have sugar so orange juice won't help.
                      Has anyone advice on rye quick breads?

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Try pickle juice.

In yesterday's symposium presentation, he was aiming for a rye bread that wasn't SOUR, because he doesn't care for a really sour bread at breakfast. (Neither do I!)

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I didn't get to watch the full presentation yesterday because I was dealing with some installers on site, but he was using some kind of foam levain, taking a small amount of starter and whipping it with water and flour to add air, which speeds up the ripening process for the yeast so you get leavening without increasing the acidity much.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I baked a batch of lemon sugar cookies to take to my sister tomorrow, supposedly we'll get to visit on the porch of the nursing home.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Lemon sugar cookies sound so good. Perfect with sweet tea on the porch - I know you'll have a good visit.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I decided on Friday to try adapting the Blonde Brownies recipe by weedsnstitches, which I recently transcribed for the collection of recipes at Nebraska Kitchen. The original recipe calls for ¼ cup butter, which I replaced with 3 Tbs. avocado oil and 1 Tbs. water. I also used white whole wheat flour in place of AP flour and reduced the salt from ½ to ¼ tsp. I baked it in my countertop convection oven, which does not seem to need any adjustment in temperature or time. These blondies are very good; the butterscotch flavor is still present, and they are slightly chewy.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

BA, those brownies sound very good.

Today I made Healthy Oatmeal Cookies from the Martha Stewart site. It's an oil cookie, I've made them several times now. Today I included raisins, chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. I subbed maple flavor for the vanilla.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by RiversideLen.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.