Vanilla Prices Soar

Home Forums General Discussions Vanilla Prices Soar

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    luvpyrpom
    Participant

I guess I really haven't cultivated my taste buds in regards to vanilla. I used to use the Nielson & Massey but I went through the small bottles way too fast. Then I switched to Costco Organic Vanilla extract. I can't tell the difference between the two brands. But then I don't make many things where vanilla is the main flavor profile. I have figured out that a large bottle that Costco will last me a good 6-8 months.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

McCormick has no sugar in it if anyone is looking for that.

According to this site, that's not always the case, so check the label:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/decoding-labels-mccormick-pure-vanilla-extract/

LauraVA
        Participant

Morning! Re flavor powders...I just now found these guys...: http://www.bestflavors.com/flavors/flavor-powder/natural-flavor-powder/c92_240_21/

A huge range of flavorings available, in powdered form, evidently.

Laura :0)

BakerAunt
          Participant

I checked the Nielsen-Massey, and it has the following ingredient list: water, alcohol (35%), sugar, vanilla bean extract.

Their vanilla paste has the following: sugar, water, vanilla extract, vanilla bean, gum tragacanth (a natural thickener)

Penzey's single strength: water, alcohol, sugar and vanilla bean extractives

The ingredient list for the double-strength is the same.

I suspect that for most of us, we won't taste a difference in the various real vanillas, but if corn syrup is added, I'd pass. While I do use corn syrup in the occasional recipe, I like to know that I have chosen to add it.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Looks like avoiding getting any corn syrup with vanilla extract is not easy to do, I wonder if the Mexican vanillas are the same?

For those with a corn allergy, that could be a serious problem. (Most of the people that I've read about with a corn allergy have so many other allergies that there probably aren't many things vanilla is used in that they can eat anyway.)

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

The food renegade column is interesting. The bottle of McCormick does not have corn syrup or sugar, just vanilla and alcohol. He also says you need to use bourbon and most things I've read say to use a neutral spirit which is definitely not bourbon.

Now if you have corn allergies, do you also need to worry about the alcohol? Again, bourbon has a good amount of corn so something neutral like vodka might be better.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

Oh, and for as for different vanillas I cannot tell the difference in baked goods. We have a Penzy's nearby and I can tell the difference between the Bourbon and the Mexican when I smell them in the store but not when I bake with them. I wonder if I could in something very mild like pastry cream?

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I think it's a common mistake to assume that 'Madagascar Bourbon' refers to the type of alcohol used to create vanilla extract. In fact, Bourbon is a reference to the former name of the island nation of Reunion and generally refers to vanilla grown in that part of the world, as opposed to Tahitian or Mexican vanilla.

The ideal approach for someone making their own vanilla would probably be to use pure grain alcohol, which has no flavor profile whatsoever. Most vodkas have some flavor profile, or at least I think they do. This could then be diluted with distilled water to the appropriate strength.

I find it interesting that according to the food renegade site some bottles of McCormick Vanilla Extract say they contain corn syrup but others do not. I have not tried to confirm that report. However, of the 3 bottles of Vanilla Extract in my cupboard at the moment, the Schilling one lists sugar, the McCormick and Sonoma ones do not.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

My phone is dying - I went to post this morning and my phone froze and then refreshed the website losing the post. It was definitely not an issue with the site.

Two years ago, Mrs Cindy gave me a 3/4 full bottle of homemade vanilla with instructions for keeping it going - similar to homemade buttermilk. All I need is vodka and vanilla beans. The premise is not too let it get down to far and then add maybe ½-1" of vodka and a a scraped vanilla bean. It doesn't matter how many vanilla bean pods you have in there. I think she said she has 20 in hers. Anyway, I let it get down too far and am very slowly building it back up. The fun part is that I'm using the scraped insides when a recipe calls for vanilla.

The bottle it arrived in has a label for Mexican Vainilla (that's the spelling on the label). I'm sure she may have started with the remains of it in there, but I think it's been going so long, there is none left in the mix - I had it down to about an inch when I started rebuilding it and it's a quart bottle.

The ingredients in the Mexican Vainilla are: Vanilla Bean Extract in Purifed Water,Vanillin (Artificial Flavoring), Alcohol, Corn Syrup, Natural Dark Color. I had no idea there could be so many ingredients in "pure" vanilla. I assumed that as long as it was a good brand like Nielsen-Massey or McCormick there was nothing but vanilla and alcohol in it. That will teach me to read ALL labels.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by cwcdesign.
                      cwcdesign
                      Participant

I just read the food renegade article, very interesting. Regarding the type of alcohol you use, a plain, inexpensive vodka works just fine. My son recommended Skyy (40%). Zen uses Everclear (75%), if you can find it, but, surprise; it's a grain alcohol made from corn, You can definitely use bourbon if you like, but as Mike said that's actually a description of the beans.

Cindy said she's even made it with other liqueurs including Kirsh, peach brandy and apricot brandy. Just add a couple of pods to your favorite liqueur and let it sit for a while

luvpyrpom
                        Participant

I looked at the Costco Organic Vanilla Extract and they list vanilla extract, water, and 35% alcohol. Cwc, you've peaked my interest in making my own vanilla. I've tried making my own vanilla sugar but I always keep forgetting to use it when I bake. But then I probably will make a bottle and totally forget to use that too.

I do keep my fresh ginger fresh in vodka in the frig. Used to have it dry out and get moldy until I found this technique. And then I add the vodka in my cooking, too. Haven't tried to use the vodka in drinks though. Not much a drinker at all.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

I was at Costco yesterday and, like Luvpyrpom found vanilla with vanilla, water, and alcohol. It was also $17 for a pint so I bought a bunch of bottles. I may try making my own but I believe it needs to steep for a while so this should tide me over until it's ready.

I also ran buy Target on the way home and they had McCormick. The ingredients were also simple - vanilla, water, and alcohol.

We keep our ginger in the freezer and then shave it off when we need it. Never tried the vodka trick. Wonder what it would do to the taste of vodka...

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I just bought two big bottles of McCormick Vanilla at Sams. BTW, the bottles are clearly labeled 'NO CORN SYRUP, NO GMO'.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I found a 9 oz. bottle of Rose & Ivy Madagascar bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract (9 oz.) at TJ Maxx for $9.99. It has water, 35% alcohol, and vanilla extractives. No sugar. It comes in a stopper bottle, so that might be nice if I ever decide to try making my own from scratch. I'll report on smell and taste in baked goods.

luvpyrpom
                                Participant

I have a Savory Spice Shop nearby so it will be interesting to see how their vanillas turn out. I do see on their website that they have vanilla paste but it's made with sugar. One of my friends also likes to travel to Mexico and she always gets me a small bottle of clear vanilla. I don't have the heart to tell her that the main ingredient is glucose. Plus, I don't know how they can make clear vanilla when the bean is brown. And it's interesting that they state on the label that there's "No Coumadin" in it. I think I tried it before and it was way too chemical-like flavor for me. So I guess it will just sit in the cabinet for now.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.