Vanilla Prices Soar

Home Forums General Discussions Vanilla Prices Soar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

An email from Penzeys today spelled out a big price increase for their vanillas. Old prices will work thru 9/21 at Penzeys.

I Googled on vanilla prices up and there are several articles about it.

Cocoa and coffee prices are going up, as well, so many of our favorite things will be costing us more very soon.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by S_Wirth.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Somehow all these price changes (chocolate, coffee, vanilla, etc) never seem to make it into the official inflation numbers.

Soup crackers (aka saltines) have nearly doubled in price in the last several years. I used to pay about $1.50 a box, now it's more like $2.95.

Meanwhile, wholesale milk prices are so low that farmers are dumping milk in the fields and the government is buying surplus cheese (at premium prices, I'm sure), but the cost of a pound of butter seems to be soaring.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Maybe there should be a "Cost of Baking" Index?

I'm still working my way through a quart of vanilla I bought a while back from KAF when there was a sale. I've moved the last of it to three 8 oz. bottles, so I'm set for now. I also appear, unwittingly, to have stocked up on Double Dutch Cocoa. Coffee, alas, cannot be stored so long, and I'm firmly addicted to Peet's French Roast and must mail order it. Last Christmas time, I stocked up on regular flour and sugar, and I am hoping for more sales in late November and December, when I will run out.

I don't understand why butter is so expensive. Early this summer, I thought myself lucky to hit a sale where it was $2.50 a pound. Now the sale price of $2.99 looks good. Sigh.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
          S_Wirth
          Participant

One article said vanilla ice cream was even set to go up due to the price hike of vanilla.

Penzeys 16 oz. vanilla was going from $ 59.95 to $ 79.95 according to the email...quite an increase, 33%.

I got in on the last of the cocoa story, but some kind of worms were eating the leaves off the plants and destroying the plants.

The inflation figures are way off in the ditch and the way they calculate social security benefits increases or decreases are beyond stupid many times.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Penzey's 16 ox regular vanilla is currently $39.95 and will increase to $49,95

Penzey's double-strength 16 oz. is currently $59.95 and will increase to $79.95.

16 oz. of the KAF brand vanilla is $44.95.

The 32 oz. Madagascar Vanilla at KAF is $74.95.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
              S_Wirth
              Participant

Here is my favorite vanilla place since the early 2000s. The company owns its own vanilla plantations. They have free shipping on all US orders currently.

https://www.cooksvanilla.com/

For many years, I have used powdered vanilla and prefer it to liquid vanilla. No big price fluctuations with the powdered vanilla.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Thanks for the tip, Sarah. I've signed up for their e-mails.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

I think vanilla finally became fed up with saffron and decided to up its price!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

No big price fluctuations with the powdered vanilla.

Well, not yet anyway. But if there are supply issues in the vanilla bean market, eventually those will make their way to powdered vanilla, assuming it's made from vanilla beans.

Isn't it funny how 'plain vanilla' is code for dull and unimpressive when true vanilla flavor is both expensive and exquisite when done right?

10 most expensive food ingredients (Saffron is only #2)

BakerAunt
                      Participant

And this week's "sale" price for butter is $3.19 per pound.

Rascals1
                        Participant

Good thing I've been able to get on here today or I wouldn't have known about vanilla hike. Which of the vanillas do you all prefer? I've always used Penzeys but curious about KAF's.
                          The vanilla powder is really good but the shelf life is about 3 years where extract is unlimited.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

My wife likes the Watkins vanilla, but I generally just buy the large bottle of McCormick Vanilla Extract at Sams Club.

S_Wirth
                            Participant

Here is what Bill Penzey says about keeping qualities of vanilla extract:

What has me most concerned about the coming Vanilla price increase is that for many
                              it will be a reason to stop using it. Vanilla is so much at the heart of how love
                              passes down from one generation to the next. Don't let that chain be broken. Vanilla
                              Extract lasts 2-3 years, easy.
                              ----------
                              Back in 2003, I bought many flavor powders from KAF...16-fold Vanilla Powder, Cake Doughnut Flavor Powder, Butter Cinnamon Powder, Maple Powder, Sweet Dough Flavor Powder, Butter Vanilla Powder...these came in a heavy plastic small container with a screw-on lid. I have kept them in my freezer and they are all just as nice as the day I got them. I used some of the 16-fold vanilla a few days ago and was surprised at how nice it still is.

I now buy the Cook's Vanilla Powder in a large jar and have never had its quality fade.

I wish I could still find many of the flavor powders like those KAF sold long ago but have not been successful in locating them.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by S_Wirth.
                              BakerAunt
                              Participant

I use Nielsen-Massey vanilla, probably because KAF sold it in large bottles (quart-size) at much less than I would pay in the store. I've also found it at TJ Maxx and Ross in smaller bottles. I kept several of the 8 oz. bottles, and I move it to those smaller ones. (A tag on one says $9.99.) I've used the Penzeys, when it came to me in gift boxes, and I can't say that I tasted any difference, although the Penzeys' vanilla comes with a piece of a vanilla bean in it. Last week, when rummaging through my stock of extracts after seeing "vanilla paste" called for in a cookie recipe, I found THREE jars of vanilla paste from Nielsen-Massey that I picked up at either TJ Maxx or Ross. It is somewhat thicker than the vanilla extract, and there is a vanilla bean in it as well. The directions say to use it 1:1 for vanilla extract. Based on a single usage, I detect a slightly richer flavor.

I have such faith in S. Wirth's internet searching skills that if she cannot find those flavored powders, then they are likely not to be found. Swirth--I'm glad that you were able to find a way to make your hoard of powders last.

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

Walmart.com has reasonable prices for McCormick and Nielsen and Massey. McCormick has no sugar in it if anyone is looking for that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.