Vanilla (Again)

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Vanilla (Again)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

I know we talk about vanilla a lot, but we are running low so I decided to look at a couple of options. Brown Eyed Baker recommends Beanilla. A pint of their vanilla is half the price (more or less) than Penzeys - both Madagascar single strength. I also have a bottle of homemade but we need to bulk that up some more.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Sigh--Penzey's had a great sale this weekend of $50 gift cards for $35.

I haven't bought vanilla for a while. I still have my vanilla stash (probably because I had to give up most butter!), including 1 1/2 bottles of a funky one I picked up at T.J. Maxx from Rose & Ivy. That was a few years ago at the start of the vanilla shortage. It has a bit of a floral note that I am not crazy about, but it works in recipes where other spices come into play.

The December before the pandemic, I was in a T.J. Maxx and there was a bottle of the Nielsen-Massey at a great price, so I grabbed it. My husband, who was along, said, "Do you need it?" My reply: "I will--and no one should pass up the chance to score vanilla at a good price."

I'm sorry that I do not have any suggestions.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I've been using artificial vanilla for a lot of things lately, I haven't noticed any problems. I still have some real vanilla extract, I save it for things where I think it might make a real difference.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I know that I can be a snob about vanilla nowadays. But when I was a kid we always had McCormick's real vanilla in the house - it's probably a blend, but it's less than $18 for 8 oz at Sam's. So next time I think I'll get some just to have on hand.

And, if I ever go into a store again, I can start looking at Home Goods and TJMaxx or Tuesday Morning, if it stays open. There are still too many places around here that don't require masks including the local pharmacy! In the spring, not only did they require masks but they also took your temperature. At least they still have plexiglass shields at the registers.

kimbob
            Participant
              cwcdesign
              Participant

Thanks, Kimbob - Similar price as Beanilla $55.95 with free shipping. The shame is they go straight from 16 oz to half a gallon with no quart option. the half gallon takes the price down to around $37/pint, but I sure don't need that much!

kimbob
                Participant

That's the truth, cwcdesign. I just opened a 32 oz of the Nielsen Massey's that I've had for over a yr plus I made a little homemade a couple months ago. I have a small bottle of tahitian that I only use for vanilla cake so the flavor comes thru. I'm set for a while. Prices are crazy. Let us know how the beanilla is.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

I was ordering a bread knife from KAF today using my $10 coupon that runs out soon and looked at vanilla, then went back and looked at Penzey's and Beanilla. For some reason the price on the Madagascar single strength pint had dropped to $41.91 with free shipping so I ordered it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.