The cake that ‘Nailed It’ was emulating

Home Forums Baking — Desserts The cake that ‘Nailed It’ was emulating

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

If you've seen 'Nailed It' (I haven't), there's apparently an episode where they try to emulate a famous Chicago area bakery's multi-layer cake.

Here's the original:
      Atomic Cake

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

That is a very over the top cake!

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I agree,way over the top.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I would not enjoy all three flavors together. I would rather eat each as a separate cake.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Chocolate, bananas and strawberry go well together, think banana split. But this cake is something that you'd need a big crowd to serve it to.

But sometimes that's the point of a dessert. My wife has made a Spanish Wind Torte a couple of times, it is a lot of work but when done right is a pièce de résistance at the table.

skeptic7
              Participant

I think it would be like Neopolitan Ice Cream, my favorite as a child since I didn't want to have to decide on just one flavor. You would need a group so it could be finished off in one sitting.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

I have seen "Nailed It" although not this episode. But neither my brothers nor I (fourth generation south siders until we moved away) have heard of this. My dad probably would have. He had a job driving to gas stations all over the city and his knowledge of Chicago geography and institutions was encyclopedic.

My little brother was a big fan of the Rainbow Cone which he was introduced to while working at Rainbow Beach.

rottiedogs
                  Participant

This cake is a south side Chicago tradition. We used to live not too far from Webers bakery at Archer and Harlem. They had the cake but they didn't call it atomic cake. I don't remember what it was called now but it was/is fabulous. As I recall it was pricy so we only had it for extra special occasions. Plus you needed a crowd as it is a lot of cake.

When our priest retired the 1st time the retirement dinner committee sent someone nearly and hour and and half drive time to the city to get this cake for the dinner. The priest requested it but not a whole lot of other folks at the dinner knew what it was.

I will still occasionally make the long trek to the city for Webers strudel and butter crust buns. Sometimes a taste from childhood is all that will cure a craving!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.