Starting a new project — measuring and listing all my kitchenware

Home Forums General Discussions Starting a new project — measuring and listing all my kitchenware

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

This is a project I've been thinking about doing for years and am finally starting.

I'm building an Excel spreadsheet that lists every item in the kitchen (pans, bowls, etc) along with its dimensions, weight, and (where appropriate) capacity, to the fill line, not the brim. (Not sure it makes sense to measure the capacity of a 15x21x1 sheet pan, but I'll probably estimate it.)

This way I know the capacity of all my pots and bowls, and their empty weight, so if I want to know how much I've got in a pan, I can weight it and subtract the empty weight.

I'm finding that there's a fair amount of variance in the weight of essentially identical items, like custard cups, so I'm showing the range where significant.

When I'm done I'll post the most commonly used items on a cabinet door and the full list will go in my recipe notebook.

Here's a short sample:

Panlistw

Spread the word
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      chocomouse
      Participant

Wow! That project should keep you occupied through the winter!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I figure two months, a few every day. I need to do some reorganization and cleaning in the kitchen anyway once the fruit flies are wiped out. The zapper racket is very effective but it leaves dead fruit flies everywhere.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Today I got through all my mixing bowls, some of the colored Pyrex ones vary by as much as 3 ounces in weight, I guess the thickness of the glass varied a lot over the decades of production.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.